I hope nothing got messed up!!

Galaxytandy

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Boat fam. Ok Two questions for you, and I'm sure I'm going to get ripped by everyone in this forum'

1.Yesterday I took my boat out to long beach, CA (LONG BEACH HARBOR) While loading my boat I screwed up and FORGOT to raise up my stern. While pulling the boat out of the water my wife is screaming at me telling me to stop. "Yup you know what happen" I forgot to raise up the stern. So I scraped the bottom FIN portion of the stern about 20 feet up the ramp before I got yelled at. I proceeded to flush my boat out and everything seemed to be working normally as far as I can tell. So wit said. Do any of you think I may have done some major damage?

2. While driving my boat I noticed the trim gauge was NOT working. it stayed in the up position the entire trip. The last time I took my boat out (LAKE) it worked just fine. Between that trip and now I had the motor pulled to get some Thru hull exhaust done. Is there a cable of some sort that cause that trim to not function properly.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
You just dragged the skeg coming up the ramp, right? No major bumps or bangs, and other than some noticeable grinding the skeg isn't bent or broken? You're likely okay - nothing anyone else hasn't done.

Two types of boaters out there - as Scott Danforth would say - those who have, and those who will. :)

I'm not familiar enough with the trim gauge to tell you where to look for that connection. This is my first boat that has a trim gauge ... and it's currently working! What year and model are ya' working on?

Galaxytandy

Seaman Apprentice
Southkogs it's a 88 Galaxie Starcruiser! The bottom of the skeg! Is scrapped! Nothing bent or anything like that!
Chris

southkogs

Staff member
Might check your gear lube and make sure there's no sign of water getting into the case the next few times you're on the water. Otherwise, if it's working right you're likely okay.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the third type is the one that lied about not being one of the first two

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
There is a plug containing two wires for the trim switch. When they pulls the motor the probably missed it.
I forget where it is, But you can follow the wires.