What kind of prop lock is this and how do I remove it

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1992 OMC King Cobra out drive with Chevy 350 rebuilt engine. Need to replace prop but cant fugure out how to take this off. I assume I'll need special tools. It appears that there is some sort of set screw that threads in on top of the cotter pin. It has three shallow holes (some sort of spanner tool maybe.

Looks like I have to post three times before I can upload pics. This is post 1.

So the "thing that holds my prop on is a collar with what appears to be a hole in the side if it where the pin goes throught the collar and shaft. There is a pin in it becuase I can see one of the pieces bent back.

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure if its me or the files but eveytime I try to upload a picture it says invalid file type. is it because I have not posted three times?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you have not posted 3 times. or read the tutorial on posting pics using a photo hosting site. the tutorial is in the general guidelines forum

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have read the tutorial on how to upload pics. The only icons I see in my editor are one that looks like two chain links (Post Link) in upper left of editor and one that looks like a piece of paper with a paper clip (Upload Attachments) next to a capital A and smiley face on upper right of the editor. I dont see a Camera, like in the tutorial, does this mean I'm still not allowed to posts pics? Sorry to be impatient, just thought it would be easier to post a pic. Obviously I'm a newbie...

alldodge

Staff member
You might have read it but not looked at the pics. Your looking for the little square which looks two mountains and dot (the sun) in the top left corner. There is a capitol "A" in the left of the posting window which toggles the editor on/off, which is next to the smile

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So here is the damaged prop and a couple of pics of what I think is a prop lock

alldodge

Staff member
Never seen one like that before, looks like it needs some kind of pin spanner wrench. Would also need to hold the key to the center when turning
prop.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
im going with custom.

its not a McGard or an old Tempo

you might have to cut the prop off to get to the lock to cut that off.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW, if that prop gets anymore "teeth" you could use it for a saw blade. :eek:

Are you going to have it rebuilt, maybe for a spare?

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I was hoping one of you experts would have an easy answer for me. I called a local prop shop and he said they've cut off tons of locks and that that ir usually comes down to the same thing. They drill out the two pins and put a hardened rod and try to unscrew it (kncok it off" if worse comes to worse they have a plasma cutter. Thing I cant figure out is hwo they get the pin out. I'm having a really hard time with pics, I think I accidentally posted the last one. Trying to use photo bucket and its like watching paint dry...

If I can post the pther pics, you'll see a hole drilled and (I would assumed) tapped in the side of the nut/collar/whatever. I'm thinking you'd need some king of three prong spanner to back out the nut and then take out the pin. Then maybe it backs out...

Have not really considered having it rebuilt, didnt know it was an option. How is that possible. Like Sumpreme Marinier says its got lots of teeth:joyous:

alldodge

Staff member
Aluminum props are fixed pretty easy. Weld some new aluminum on and grind down to finish size. Cost usually half what a new one would cost

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo263492.JPG
    photo263492.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263493.JPG
    photo263493.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Found the lock, maybe use a left handed drill on the key or contact this guy and see if he has a key for yours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Propel...heft-OMC-Johnson-Evinrude-V6-V8-/360853430670

AllDodge, that was a great find. You da man.

Funny that is seems like a typical aluminum prop, but the PO decided to install a lock on it for some reason. :noidea:

If you have no plans to reuse the prop lock, I would just take an angle grinder with a thin cutoff disk and cut it off. JMHO