OMC Stringer Ebay Adventure

ab59

Ensign
Mercybenz63-- I just bought an OMC 5.7 cobra and may be in the same fix you are soon. About gears and parts, look in a place that sounds like craigs hist ( certain businesses should not be named ) . out here in the west I have seen many Stringer parts for sale as well as complete units. If your area is like most then there will also be a couple of old timers around that horde OMC parts as well as work exclusively on the older stern drives and outboards so look for them as well.
I am putting a longblock into my boat and any new engine or older engine that I buy that has been sitting a year or more ALWAYS gets a new water pump in the outdrive as well as on the engine, thermostat as well

Mercybenz63

Cadet
I have named the boat..."Strung Out"

Thanks ab59, I have been working that angle. I will have to widen my search.

Mercybenz63

Cadet
Well, I was able to fairly cheaply obtain a complete power train for my boat, it even has upgraded exhaust manifolds.

I would like to use the new gear case to avoid the whole gear shimming exercise, however, the ball gear on the new case shows significantly more wear than my old one. Does anyone see an issue with the mesh on the two ball gears given one is more worn than the other?

I plan to switch in the new water impeller.

Any other things I should consider doing?

Lacking any other boat experience, I find the stringer is actually pretty easy to work on. I should be able to have the boat in the water with a couple of hours on the outdrive.

Thanks!!!

Mercybenz63

Cadet
Had a great weekend out on the water!!!

Pulled a big 4 person tube with no problem, and the boat ran great!

Thanks to everyone that helped me get to this point and Happy Father's day to all you Dads!

Maclin

Admiral
Wow, nice ending :) Pretty nice looking old boat judging by just those 3 pics so far... need more!

Good job.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Buy new ball gears. The kit is $150 on amazon

ab59

Ensign
For some one who doesn't know much about boats you did a great job , in fact you did a great job even if you did know a lot about boats. Enjoy and job well done.

Mercybenz63

Cadet
No Title

Some pics from the past week...

Attachments

• photo269682.jpg
    photo269682.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269680.JPG
    photo269680.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269681.JPG