power trim swap

i have a 1990 omc 2.3l
the motor for the power trim went bad, cost to replace just motor alone was $400

there were lots of complete unites on ebay for much less so i got one of those. anyone see any issues with this swap?
also, with the drive unit in the FULL UP position, see any reason for not starting the motor to warm the oil for a oil change?

thanks
Steve

Bondo

Staff member
also, with the drive unit in the FULL UP position, see any reason for not starting the motor to warm the oil for a oil change?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... That'll destroy the u-joints in very short order,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
i have a 1990 omc 2.3l
the motor for the power trim went bad, cost to replace just motor alone was $400

there were lots of complete unites on ebay for much less so i got one of those. anyone see any issues with this swap?

thanks
Steve

do you know that the pressures are correct with your new pump and the old system? if not, you can damage things

regarding the drive in the full up. I wouldnt start the motor. as Bondo stated, you will tear the u-joints up really really quickly, then it takes out the gimble