1993 5.8 OMC Cobra EFI - Hesitation in Reverse?

We've got a 1993 Four Winns H210 with the OMC Cobra 5.8 EFI. Everything works great but when you shift into reverse the engine stumbles and chokes, almost as if it's going to stall, then revs way up and lurches the boat backward, and continues to hunt for RPMs while in reverse. Also sometimes if you return the shifter to neutral it stays in reverse; you have to go slightly into forward and then back to neutral. It's not a huge deal but it can make tight docking maneuvers more difficult than they need to be.

Does this sound like something that could be a simple cable adjustment? I tried to do some research but am confused by upper and lower cables and the various adjustment tools necessary. May just drop it at the local OMC service guy but might it be a quick/cheap fix?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, make sure you still have a local OMC guy. OMC has been out of business for 2 decades. so unless you get someone that has been in the business for over 30+ years to have relative experience, you may be searching for a while

definitely sounds like the shift interupt switch / shift cable out of adjustment.

I would start searching iBoats for shift cable adjustment. I know there are a few writeups on it.