OMC 2.3L Repower options?

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I have a beautiful boat and trailer I got for $100 with a locked up 2.3 in it. What are my options on repowering this boat. Is there another engine that would bolt up to the outdrive or what about looking for a different sterndrive set up altogether? Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your 2.3 is an OMG only endeaver.

Its a ford ranger block and heads, brass core plugs and stainless MLS gaskets with really expensive marine parts bolted to the outside

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I found a running Ranger 2.3 engine for a decent price. I guess I need to pull the intake and exhaust manifolds and see if they are any good before going any further. What would be the proper way of testing the manifolds? Thanks.

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
If u can ditch the 2.3l and put a mercruiser 4.3l in there, I did and put motor and drive from a rotten boat - check it my thread on how I did it. Boat goes like a scared rabbit now. Btw if u use the ranger block make sure it have a hole in the block for the mechanical fuel pump

Bondo

Staff member
or what about looking for a different sterndrive set up altogether?

Ayuh,..... Speak has got the answer,.... Sell the parts ya got, 'n find a rotten donor boat with a Runnin' 4.3l, Alpha drive,....

nedc

Cadet
If you're going for spending as little $$ as possible, find a mustang/ranger motor and swap the marine parts over. That's what i did, if you can find my posts from 3-4 years ago I detail it all. Use an electric fuel pump and the roller rocker head. My Bayliner is still going strong and is an economical, reliable and fun boat!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Either those 2 options, or a third, if you want to stay with a 4 cyl is the GM marine 3.0 4 cyl. It was also used with the OMC drive, and if your OMC drive system is in good shape and you want to keep it, even the gear ratio will work so you save a bit of money there. The one big part of this project is you have to re-fab your front engine mount. That is different from the 2.3 vs 3.0. Also the rear bell housing would have to be an OMC 3.0 piece. If your OMC stuff is worn out and problematical, then pull it all and put in either a Merc 3.0 or Merc 4.3 if it will fit and not be too heavy for the boat.