Help identify my OMC engine please

rehgarde

Cadet
We picked up a 1988 19' Sport-Craft with an OMC I/O 4.3L engine. V6
I can't seem to find the engine model/serial number on it anywhere, and was hoping for help identifying it.
Here is what I know:
Outdrive plate says: Model No. 985269 Engine 4.3L Serial No. T0562593

Carburetor stamp 17085008 349 T7 I (I know this is part # but can it help id?)
Intake manifold stamp 10 19 87 GM6269732 Firing order 165432

I've looked everywhere for the engine tag, but can't seem to locate it. There are large exhaust manifolds on each side of the engine, possibly blocking my access?

Once I can positively ID this engine, I can put in some new spark plugs, put in some fresh gas and see if it starts. The engine has been sitting for 1.5 years.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Brandon

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
engine serial number tag is on side of block on starter boss

however regarding spark plugs, all unmolested 4.3's from 1985-1995 take the same spark plug. all unmolested 4.3's from 1996 on take longer reach plugs

however sitting with bad gas in it for a while, your going to have to go thru the carb

rehgarde

Cadet
OK, I removed the jump seat and found another stamp on the starter side:
GM 4.3LG
*2SG1

Didn't see the tag yet, bu I assume it is somewhere close by? Will try again after work.

I'll be draining the gas, doesn't seem like there was any in the carb, but I'll check that out. That will be another day, another thread:)
Swapping out the plugs, it currently had autolite 23 in there, I'll be getting those MR43T's. Spark plugs...plenty of threads on those!

Thanks again,
Brandon

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... It's a '87/ '88 4.3l Chevy motor,....

The only other ID ya need is what carb, 'n what distributor,....

For spark plugs, as Bruce says, MR43T AC Delco,....

The distributor may have points in it, that oughta be serviced, 'n the carb oughta be rebuilt, before ya even try to start it,...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
There are not too many options here for an '88 4.3: either 4bbl or 2bbl, power steering or no power steering (never saw one with no PS). On OMC engines of that era, the sticker with the model # on it was either on the thermostat housing or on one of the valve covers.
It will be a number like this:
434APRGDP

the 43=4.3 liter, the 4= 4 bbl carb, the A don't know the P=power steering, the rest of the letters are OMC jargon for certain variation in the parts used....

http://www.crowleymarine.com/1/OMC-Stern-Drive/1988.cfm

You will see here all the model numbers for all the engine/drive combinations sold that year and this is how you buy parts although some parts are the same for all model #s for the same engine of the same year.

The engine casting # for the block is at the rear side right by the bell housing, I think on the starboard side, you'd only need this number if you needed to buy a re manufactured engine short block
the casting #s for the heads is visible on the head after you remove the valve covers, again only need this if you had to order re manufactured heads.

Those carb #s are not OMC part #s, it is a Rochester Serial number most likely. You have either a Rochester 2bbl or a Rochester 4 bbl Quadrajet. The 2 bbl model was rated at 175 hp and the 4bbl was rated at 205 hp.

Last edited: