OMC tilt motor issues

OMC73

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 73 seaswirl that I'm fixing up. I replaced the tilt motor and it has been working fine. I have lifted and lowered the out drive maybe a dozen times total since the replacement. Yesterday I go to lift the outdrive and it only went up a couple inches and stopped. I then manually lifted with light pressure on the out drive while engaging the tilt motor and it would go up. I checked my almost brand new marine battery voltage and it read 12.55v. To me It seems like the motor isn't getting enough juice to it? Any ideas on what i'm looking for?

I should add that I have bypassed all of the solenoids and was touching the lift wire directly to the positive battery terminal.

Last edited:

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer

OMC73

Seaman Apprentice
Is this set-up pneumatic? or just electric? If it was working properly and now it's not then take a close look what you did to install it. It seems like something may have come loose. Put a volt meter on the battery and see how much the voltage drops when you test the lift motor directly.Pull the lift motor again if needed and bench test it.
http://www.boatpartsinfo.com/2011/05/replacing-power-trim-and-tilt-systems/comment-page-6/

It is all electric. Thanks for the advise

southkogs

Staff member
Any water get in your bilge? That motor sits so low to the bilge that water can get in there fast and easy. It might be worth the bruised rib cage to pull the motor and check it.

How's the lube in the clutch pack?

:welcome:

OMC73

Seaman Apprentice
Any water get in your bilge? That motor sits so low to the bilge that water can get in there fast and easy. It might be worth the bruised rib cage to pull the motor and check it.

How's the lube in the clutch pack?

:welcome:

There was water in the bilge my drain hole was plugged up . I didn't look to see if water got to the motor. I just unplugged the drain. I'm not sure about the clutch pack lube. I haven't checked it yet. Would that affect the lifting? Lol a bruised rib is almost certain if I have to pull the motor

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
I'm not sure about the clutch pack lube. I haven't checked it yet. Would that affect the lifting?
It can. But, if there was water in the bilge - I'd make that my first guess. The tilt system on the Stringer is finicky enough without adding water into the electric motor :)

OMC73

Seaman Apprentice
It can. But, if there was water in the bilge - I'd make that my first guess. The tilt system on the Stringer is finicky enough without adding water into the electric motor :)

Ok I looked at it and I don't think the water got as high as the tilt motor but we'll never know. I paid about $50 bucks brand new from eBay for it. So maybe it is a get what you pay for type of thing. It seemed to be good quality.

I took the fill plug to the clutch pack out and didn't see any oil through the small hole. If I take the cover off is there a gasket I need to replace?

southkogs

Staff member
Ok I looked at it and I don't think the water got as high as the tilt motor but we'll never know. I paid about $50 bucks brand new from eBay for it. So maybe it is a get what you pay for type of thing. It seemed to be good quality.
Hmmmm ... on my '72 all of the tilt motors I found were closer to $200. I had mine rebuilt for $45. '73 would have been pretty similar ... unless you've got a later outdrive (some of the motors are cheaper). Part number for the motor would be 0382138 - maybe make sure you've got the right motor?

I took the fill plug to the clutch pack out and didn't see any oil through the small hole. If I take the cover off is there a gasket I need to replace?
I've never taken a clutch pack apart - get a manual to look through, because they're a little tricky. I don't think there's a gasket, but there is an O-ring in there. What I would do is fill it with lube, and let it be. The fact that it moves is good enough for now, the fact that it was moving slowly might mean it needed to be lubricated.

OMC73

Seaman Apprentice
Hmmmm ... on my '72 all of the tilt motors I found were closer to $200. I had mine rebuilt for $45. '73 would have been pretty similar ... unless you've got a later outdrive (some of the motors are cheaper). Part number for the motor would be 0382138 - maybe make sure you've got the right motor?

I believe it is the right one, at least according to the website I bought it from. If you click on the "Part Replacement List" It does list the 0382138 part number it will replace. I did notice a little rust on the screw that holds one of the brushes so maybe water did get to it?

https://www.dbelectrical.com/produc...e=&network=g&gclid=CMiUirWepNMCFYmRfgod498PwA

I do have a manual for the boat but sometimes for me, I need more layman terms or real world experience descriptions.

I took the boat in yesterday because the shop I bought a motor from installed it with the wrong flywheel and it wouldn't crank over due to a clearance issue. So, I will look into this tilt issue in a few days when I get it back. I'm really hoping to find the light at the end of the tunnel on this project. Got to be close!! lol

southkogs

Staff member
I believe it is the right one ...
It looks right. That's cool you found that.

I do have a manual for the boat but sometimes for me, I need more layman terms or real world experience descriptions.
Don't I know that one. I'm not the best of mechanics.

I'm really hoping to find the light at the end of the tunnel on this project. Got to be close!!
I found with mine that the Stringer likes attention. Mine was actually pretty reliable (a buddy of mine is still running it), but they can make a mechanic outta' ya'.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Common issue with tilt motor. Have to stand on your gead to access most of the time

Pull apart, clean armature contacts with 600 grit, re-assemble. I repaired many, replaced more

Moisture gets trapped in motor

OMC73

Seaman Apprentice
Update: Turns out the clutch pack was out of oil. Filled it up and now it works like a dream.