what engin can i relace a 1988 ford 2.3l with points to that will bolt up

rick5461

Cadet
I hate my boat lol every year I have a problem starting for first time I take it in and he replaces points its all good im over the points
unfortunately its the only year you cannot do a conversion on is there an engine I can replace it with that will bolt up to outdrive and all the omc parts in the engine bay or is there a different year distributor I can buy that I can convert to electronic ignition its a 1998 2.3l ford omc cobra

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Either he is doing something wrong, or something else is causing your problem. Points on a marine engine should be good for at least 5 seasons. I have points in my '88 OMC 4.3 and I've changed them maybe 3 x in the 15 years I've owned it. There should be no need to convert to electronic, if the points used are good quality and the person installing them knows what they are doing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Other than a quick file in spring to knock the oxidation off, points should last many years

So next spring, simply take your wifes nail file and swipe thru the contacts once to clean them and all will be well

boobie

Supreme Mariner
After you run the nail file through them, run a piece of paper dipped in acetone through them.

rick5461

Cadet
done all that I noticed my positive battery post getting hot I have a short but cant find it yet plus can get enough power to get a skier up any thoughts

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You need a voltmeter and learn how to use it if you plan to do any electrical work or troubleshooting. Points can go bad if the ignition system is supposed to have a ballast resistor in it and it has either been eliminated or miswired. They can also go bad if the ignition key is left on without the engine running (so you can listen to the radio). Current continually passes through the points if they happen to be closed under those conditions.

rick5461

Cadet
I an aware of all this silver thank you for your help I must have a short someplace I have not found as I noticed he pos side of battery got hot so I a guessing that is what is causing my issues

Bondo

Staff member
as I noticed he pos side of battery got hot

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... That alone, says the (+) connection at the battery is Bad, Corroded, Not conductin' power easily,....

Resistance equals heat with electricity,...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
plus can get enough power to get a skier up any thoughts

with the 3.0 liter being so limited on power, you may need to drop 2-4" in pitch for water sports. I kept a 15p, 17p and 19p on the boat. 19p for fishing and cruising, 15p for slalom skiing and trolling, and 17p for pulling tubes, wakeboards

you also have to have everyone in the boat sit in the front to add weight up there to get the front down during the hole shot.

rick5461

Cadet
scott d thanks I will look at new ones if I can get it running im about ready to sell it

rick5461

Cadet
so here what I have done so far
new points set to .0018 as book calls for
new condenser
new coil
new resistor
still no spark got fuel got every thing it needs to start but spark

rick5461

Cadet
well it ended up being the wire that goes on the bolt to ground the points was touching the distributer it goe between the plastic pieces and one goes on inside of the distributer cost me 200 bucks but it runs again

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Good work, reporting back. See it wasn't that the ignition had points, it was that there was an electrical problem that was not so obvious....