OMC 2.3 cobra engine

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all, I just picked up a 1991 sunbird with a 2.3 OMC cobra engine. The engine is locked up. I was wondering if the Ford 2.3 engines that came in Pintos, Mustangs and Rangers is the same engine? Could I use a 2.3 Ford short block to rebuild this boat engine? Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes

however first, why did you buy anything with an OMC motor and drive in it? OMC has been out of business for 2 decades?

you will need to make sure that you use proper brass core plugs and a proper marine head gasket

you may want to also do some test drills on the stringers and transom on your 26 year old boat. most likely the stringers are rotten, the foam water logged and the transom is wet and rotting. would hate to see you dump money into a motor only to find rot later

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the reply Scott. I'm sure there's still parts available for that engine. My other boat is a '74 trihull with a 50hp Johnson and parts are still around for it. The hull, interior and trailer are all in excellent shape and, get this, I only paid $100 for it :happy:

Bondo

Staff member
I'm sure there's still parts available for that engine. My other boat is a '74 trihull with a 50hp Johnson and parts are still around for it.

Ayuh,.... Johnson Outboards was bought up, 'n are still in production,....

OMC I/Os are dead, 'n Gone,.....

Many of the parts in yer motor/ drive share a common part number,...... NLA,....

While the internal motor parts are Ford parts,...
All the accessories bolted to the long block, are OMC, which makes 'em few, 'n far between,....

Anyways,..... Good luck with it,....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have to agree, while you can get a Pinto/Bobcat/Ranger engine and use it, if the exhaust manifold is bad, its a deal breaker because they are NLA, along with many other parts. If the boat is good, it would be better to swap out all the OMC stuff, sell off the drive and transom mount and swap in a nice Merc 4.3/Alpha if it will fit. I have an OMC and its been good to me, but when you can't get parts, its time to start over.

Big Gee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've had a 2.3 Ford with the OMC drive for awhile now and I agree completely.

If I had to pull the engine, I wouldn't put another back in. The Merc 4.3/Alpha would be my go to.

With a hull and interior in the kind of shape you describe, it would be worth converting.

BTW, exhaust manifolds are available from manifoldwarehouse.com for about $600. :eek:

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks all for the comments. Wondering why the dislike of the OMC 2.3. Is it inherently a lousy engine or is it the lack of part availability?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Lack of parts. The Cobra drives once the shift cable issues were worked out were really fine.
The 2.3 was only used for a few years and Ford has been out of the marine business for a long time.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks all for the comments. Wondering why the dislike of the OMC 2.3. Is it inherently a lousy engine or is it the lack of part availability?

Both, its a turd motor with nearly non existent part support connected to a marginal drive with waning parts support.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
As far as the Cobra drives, if the owner maintained the shift cable, and resealed it when needed, they are long lasting. Mine has not been apart in a long time, I had a few seals replaced about 12 years ago, nothing but oil changes and yearly R+R since. 15 years in salt water, moored in it for 6 months every season. The problem with them was a lack of knowledge in adjusting the shift cable. I bought the 3 OMC tools and taught myself how to do it in about 2 hrs. But the Ford engines are rare and parts are as well.