1991 4.3l OMC new starter

KadeP08

Cadet
Alright gents, this is my first boat and first post on here. I appreciate all of you, have already learned some things by searching the forums.

I have a 1991 Mariah MX19 with a 4.3l OMC Cobra I/O. The original starter decided to crap out after the first time on the water. I have bought a replacement and am ready to hook up, but forgot how the wiring was on the original starter.

I have tried searching but not finding exactly what I need I do not think.... or others wires are different colors. I have provided pics to help.

There are a total of 4 wires to connect to the solenoid. The little yellow one goes to the alternator and came off the small post closest to the block. I was sure that all three other wires were hooked up to the big terminal at the top of the solenoid. I do not believe anything was hooked up to the smaller post on the side furthest from the block, the original starter definitely does not look like anything was hooked up to that side. Reading on some forums and looking at pics, I see some stating they have purple wire on the left, power and other red cable on top (big post), and yellow on inner small post.

Can someone please help? Its hard to trace the wires in the cramped space, hoping someone can view pics and help.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20170407_181024.jpg
    20170407_181024.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170407_180946.jpg
    20170407_180946.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20170407_180936.jpg
    20170407_180936.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20170407_183417.jpg
    20170407_183417.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... If the red with blue stripe goes to the trim pump, does it work,..?? unhook it, does it still work,..??

I don't do OMCs, but I'll Guess the red purple is a battery voltage by-pass for the ignition, 'n/ or fuel pump,.....

To Test it, hook it to the battery wire,....
Is there Power at the coil's (+) terminal,..??
If so,.... It goes on the outer tiny terminal,....

Otherwise, I donno what it goes too,....

KadeP08

Cadet
I appreciate the quick reply. Out of the 4 wires, three have ends that fit the big post and only one fits the smaller post. That has to be how it was hooked up originally so that is what I went ahead and did. I was thinking I might have an issue with wiring after trying it but now I'm thinking another issue, maybe carb. The boat started right up after hooking everything up and sounded about normal, however it died just a minute later. Out of a few more tries, I got it to start again but same result.

I wanted to double check to make sure someone hadnt hooked up the last starter wrong and I followed how they had it. It seems that is not the case since the motor will start, but not continue running.

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds like your running out of gas because the fuel pump stops running once the engine starts. The wires you already hooked up are correct, the issue is your missing the one which goes to the small terminal away from the block. Look for another wire around the starter

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have the factory wiring diagram for my '88 4.3 Cobra but I'm thinking yours is different, because you probably have electronic ignition instead of the points distributor that I have. Are you sure that your OE starter had the same terminals that the new one does?
At any rate, the big terminal on the starter solenoid has the red battery positive cable hooked up to it and another red cable (not as heavy, like maybe 10-8 gauge) that comes from the down solenoid for the trim system. There is a connector in between the relay and the starter solenoid, the wire coming off the down solenoid is a red/purple wire and when it comes out of the connector it is just red. This wire basically brings in 12V off the back of the alternator if you trace it back through the harness. The small red/yellow wire is on the small terminal behind the big one closer to the engine block. This comes from the Assist solenoid, and basically send 12 v from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. The last small terminal that is on the other side of the big terminal (closer to your camera) on mine gets the purple/black wire that comes from the positive terminal on the ignition coil. This may be different on yours, if you have electronic ignition and not points.....

PS the way you can differentiate the down from the up solenoid for the trim system, is that the wiring is kind of logical, green wiring (green-->grass, down) blue wiring (blue-->sky, UP), got it?