OMC 454 King Cobra purchase?

DetroitFD

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone-
I'm looking to purchase my first boat, and a friend suggested I come here and ask about it before I do.

Looking at a 1993 Chris Craft 268 Concept Cruiser, in great shape w/ under 400 hours. Has a single OMC 454, per marina the engine and outdrive had full service in 2016. After googling, I read a few posts that said it's hard to get parts for this system, and others that say it's very reliable. What're your thoughts?

Thanks in advance, I'm excited to join the boating world, but wanted to ask the experts before I dive in...

Jerry

Bondo

Staff member
I'm looking to purchase my first boat,

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... No matter the price,... Don't buy anything that says OMC on it anywhere,....

OMC has been outa business for over 2 Decades,...
Both parts, 'n knowledge is gettin' hard to find,...

There's plenty of boats out there with Merc or Volvo drivelines,....
Don't buy an OMC,...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Run away!!!!! Extremely hard to get parts!

At least you can finally find raw water pump impellers for them now. For awhile you couldn't. If the drive ever breaks, forget about finding internal parts.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard

unless you get it for dirt cheap so you can afford to swap the drive for a mercruiser or volvo, run, dont walk, run away from it.

the king cobra drive has no parts support for internal parts

the only good thing about the combo is the 454 chev in front of it. however the OMC parts are getting difficult

if it was an SX drive, that would be different as that was Volvo

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If it was the regular Cobra it would be better....but just by a little bit.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Got confirmation, OMC 454 and drive too.

Yeah, There was NO dog-clutch King Cobra ever mated to a 454. That year drive will be the "interim" cone-clutch drive. It is UN-like the previous dog-clutch Cobra and NOT 'the same" as the newer joint venture Cobra (SX), Volvo Penta drive.

I would only buy that boat if I could get it "dirt" cheap, remove the engine and drive and part it out.

Cheers,

Rick

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Agree with all even though it was probably the 'best' OMC drive ever built....no parts, no support. The regular OMC Cobra drives have many OE and aftermarket parts still available, like the older Volvo AQ drives, but these are not for those who will have to pay techs to get things done, rather for competent do it yourselfers.....
Stick with something made in the last 5-10 years, that you can get service and parts for, why make your life more difficult than it has to be...