OMC SX Upper Volvo SX-M Lower?

billkoller

Cadet
Last fall I had my OMC SX 1:51 Lower go out. (1995 5.8 OMC Fuel Injection) I purchased a Re-maned Volvo SX-M Lower and had my local marina put it together. I used the boat twice and no issues, I pulled out for the winter and noticed Black Burnt Oil coming out of what I think are the exhaust ports on the near the seam of the 2 halves. Does anyone have an idea of what could have caused this? Was this installation error or is the upper failing and this is a result? Did I buy a lower that would not work with my upper? Any ideas/input would be greatly appreciated!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Pull the dipstick on the drive and see what the gear oil looks like.

Your sx-m lower is fine for your upper.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Did the oil smell like gear oil? It normally has a very pungent odor like sulfur. Could it be oil from another source? Like power steering fluid leaking into the exhaust water from a leaky ps cooler for example.

billkoller

Cadet
It is Black, smells and looks like burnt Gear Oil. Guessing when it leaked out started overheating the upper

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Pull the dipstick and/or let a little out the drain plug and see if its the same color.

Every time I use my boat, I always check the gear oil to make sure it is at the correct level. Good habit to get into.

billkoller

Cadet
Resolved, turns out the New Lower had a groove for an O-Ring and my old upper also had a Groove for the O-ring. These 2 units were not compatible. Ended up having to get a new Upper to Match the lower I purchased. Luckily I found a local guy that knew his stuff and had a compatible upper.