OMC COBRA 4.3. BURNING MY HOSES. GETTING HOT

Pedrocasas

Seaman
This is my first boat. I did posted a topic about 1 month ago. I finally got to work on it.
So this what happen. The hose clamps that are holding down some type of big hard hoses, the clamp got really hot that it burned my red gas hose. As you can see on the photos.
The boat got hot. The smell of burning rubber when i went faster. Smoke from the hoses side. And from the outdrive.
I took a pic of the impeller
Picture of the red hose and the hose clamps.

Any ideas what it can or what causes this?

Thank you guys.

Attachments

• IMG-20170225-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20170225-WA0012.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20170225-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20170225-WA0011.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No photos.

My guess is there is zero water flow

Fix your raw water pump

Pedrocasas

Seaman
No Title

Attachments

• photo259422.jpg
    photo259422.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo259423.jpg
    photo259423.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 0

Pedrocasas

Seaman
No Title

Attachments

• photo259424.jpg
    photo259424.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo259425.jpg
    photo259425.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 0

Pedrocasas

Seaman
No Title

So what I plan on doing today n tomorrow. Is remove the hoses. For that i believe you need to remove the risers. Also I removed the impeller. Water pump.

What else do I need to check and maybe replace? Thanks guys!!!!!

Attachments

• photo259426.jpg
    photo259426.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
For that i believe you need to remove the risers!
Those manifolds are one piece manifolds so there are no risers.

Do you boat in salt water? If you do, check the outlet of the thermostat housing where the hose feeds the manifolds for corrosion obstruction.

Pedrocasas

Seaman
Bruce. Sorry yea we got the names wrong. I do use salt water. I need to check the thermostat then. And the outlets. Thank you

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You are also going to need to check for blockage between the water pump and the thermostat. There is a power steering cooler between the drive and the thermostat housing. You may want to try back flushing from the thermostat back to the drive and make sure water comes out the water pump housing now that y.ou have the water pump apart.

So when does all this start happening? When you are in the water or when you are running on muffs?

Pedrocasas

Seaman
We took it out once. We just got the boat. Everyone was good. Untill the burning smell . Which was the rubber hose burning. I will start doing the flush tomorrow. And see if anything is blocking

Scott Danforth

Staff member
You have the dreaded bat wing manifolds. Change them now. They will kill your motor. Its not if they fail, its when they fail

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Agree with Scott. It could be that they are just all corroded up inside and preventing water flow. I would replace them no matter what.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Just google bat wing manifolds....its what you have and what you need to replace

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
First off is your engine over heating, or only the exhsust system?
Engine temp on the dash gauge shoukd range from 160-175. If higher then you need to check/replsce the impeller in the upper gear housing and the thrtmostst housing and 'stat itself. If the boat was used in salt water extensively then the t stst housing and msnifolds are probably internally corroded and must be replaced. You can get the T stat housings but not those msnifolds. There are conversions to the later center riser style available . I had 3 sets of those bat wings on my salt water run boat; chsnged every 5 years never had a problem with them.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I also agree with Scott,...

As hot as ya got those manifolds, they're probably cracked inside by now,...
Even if they ain't, they're a known failure point, due to core shiftin' in the castin' process,...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Your impeller actually looks ok. The way to test it is to put the boat on the water and tie it up at the dock. Disconnect the hose that runs from the transom to the Thermo housing. Have someone start the engine very briefly (like a min or 2). You should see a stream of water shoot up at least 2" if it's good. If not replace it including the wear plate. Back flush the hose from the thermo housing to the transom mount while some watches the impeller mount area for good water flow. Next before replacing it take your water muffs and hook them up to the lower unit. Hold them tight to the water intakes and have some one turn on the water. You should see water come out of the other opening in the impeller mount. If not there could be a clog in the lower unit water intake area or water tube; or defective water tube gaskets. I had to clean barnacles out of mind lol!
If the thermo housing is all corroded buy a new one they are readily available.
There are conversion kits to convert your bat wings over to a 2 piece style like OMC and Volvo used on the later 4.3s, not cheap though.
Normal manifold temps on those manifolds should be:
85-100 *F at idle
125-135 *F max after coming off plane. This is what mine have always run at when all is right

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
PS the red hose that got scorched is not a hose; its your transom shift cable. If the boat does not shift easily this will have to be replaced.

To get those manifolds off:
Remove hose clsmps. Spray silicone spray on the Y pipe under the lower hoses. Pry around the upper part of the lower hoses that connect to the alu angled coupler piece and spray in silicone. Let it soak in. Then you have to slide the lower hoses down the Y pipe. Next remove the nuts that hold the manis on and they will come right off the head. They will not come off unless you slide those hoses off the coupler piece and down the Y pipe due to the manis being mounted on studs that go into the head.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Here is your pic, and how to get these off, once you slide the hose down, very easy.
If the hoses will not come off the aluminum coupler, get a small screwdriver and pry around where it fits on the coupler. You may have to replace these hoses anyway because they are probably scorched. When you have the manifolds off, look in the Y pipe for the exhaust flappers. They are a rubber valve that blocks water from coming back up the pipe. If these got really hot those rubber valves have melted I'm sure. They are easy to replace but you have to remove the outdrive to get the burnt up remains out of the bottom of the Y pipe..... OMC batwing.jpg

Attachments

• OMC batwing.jpg
    OMC batwing.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
OK last post on this subject....here is the OMC impeller mount so you can see what I'm talking about with the water flow.... Cobra impeller mount.jpg

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
water comes up from the lower unit on side marked in; and goes to the hose that leads to the thermo from side marked out

Last edited: