OMC Manifolds and Riser swap for Thru Hull Mod

Galaxytandy

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, Iboat Fam!
I'm new to this forum so thank you for reading this post. I'll keep it simple! I just bought a 1988 Galaxie Works boat with a Chevy 350 motor OMC style. I really want to install the captain's call system from Corsa and run a thru hull to the back of my boat. I contacted a local marine shop and they told me that the manifolds seen on this picture WILL NOT work. He told me I would need to swap out the manifolds and risers, Can you all recommend some inexpensive manifolds that would fit this engine?
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
I really want to install the captain's call system from Corsa and run a thru hull to the back of my boat.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Does Corsa even make a system for yer ole OMC,..??

You'll need center riser manifolds, 'n risers, rather than log manifolds,...
'n,... Cheap, 'n exhaust manifolds shouldn't be used in the same sentence, as cheap manifolds ain't necessarily good manifolds,...
Look for Osco, or Barr,...
Avoid GLM or HGE, or any other chinese junk,...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Other than the ability to make noise at will with the captains call exhaust. What are you hoping to gain?

You wont see any performance gains spending $2300 in exhaust on your small block ($700 for manifolds and risers, $1300 for captains call, $300 for tips and hoses)

Galaxytandy

Seaman Apprentice
Hey, Guys thanks for the response. Scott you are spot on with your comment about gaining HP. I wasn't wanting to do it for the HP gain. MORE for the sound! But you put it in perspective $$$$ for some sound HUMMMMMM dunno about that LOL Think I'd rather have a sick wake tower instead. Going back to the configurations of my boat motor. Is it possible to take a 90 Degree elbow out of the back and run it straight thru the back of the HULL? Im sure id have to cap off the Y pipe right? or pull the y pipe out? Which means pulling the motor? I've pulled motors out before and worked on LT1 Camaro engines so I'm confident in getting a cherry picker and pulling the motor out myself if need be?
Thoughts??
Chris

Bondo

Staff member
Is it possible to take a 90 Degree elbow out of the back and run it straight thru the back of the HULL? Im sure id have to cap off the Y pipe right? or pull the y pipe out? Which means pulling the motor?

Ayuh,.... I believe you'll find that risers with different angles like ya want, have different bolt/ gasket patterns at the manifolds,...
Won't fit,...
As for the y-pipe, either of the 2 options will work,...
You can cap it as is, or pull it, 'n cap it at the transom housin',....

Side note,... Boat motors are Waayyy Easier to pull than a car,... just be sure to pull the drive 1st,....

Galaxytandy

Seaman Apprentice
Bondo
The drive first as in the outdrive would need to come out?
Chris

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... 6 nuts, pull the drive,...
4 motor mounts, 'n the electrical, 'n plumbin',...
Then lift Straight up, 'n then away,...

If the motor, 'n drive are properly aligned, ya can't just pull the motor forward, without the risk of bendin' the drive's drive shaft,...

You also need to re-align the motor to the gimbel when ya put it back in,...

Galaxytandy

Seaman Apprentice
OK Bondo thank you. Im going to look into just capping off the Y pipe. And running a 90 Degree Elbow towards the back and put some nice flanges on there and call it a day. Don't think that would be to hard other than the fabricating the rear to fit the hull. THOUGHTS?
Chris

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I wouldn't do it. Other than more noise, you gain nothing as far as performance

Galaxytandy

Seaman Apprentice
Scott thank you. I think I may go a different direction. Id rather have a nice wake tower hehe
Chris

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't do it. Other than more noise, you gain nothing as far as performance

Yeah, I had Capts Call in my 87 OMC Cobra 460 powered Four Winns Liberator. It didn't do anything for performance and every time I used it, everyone in the boat said TURN IT OFF!!! TURN IT OFF!!!!!

When I removed/replaced the 460 with the Mercruiser 7.4L + Bravo III, I left the Capts Call system in a box on the floor. It seems to work best there!

I would make you a swinging deal on it but I would rather see you spend your money something that you need instead of a noise maker!

Cheers,

Rick

Galaxytandy

Seaman Apprentice
RICK, yeah it looks like that's where I'm leaning more towards. Spending the money elsewhere. I wasn't going to do it for performance. I wanted the sound!!! Oh well, I do want people to enjoy themselves on my boat and not have to worry about noise. Thank you all for your great comments. Time to research cool wake towers.
Chris

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I wasn't going to do it for performance. I wanted the sound!!!
Well, to be accurate, mine was a "straight" exhaust and was unbearably loud! There are exhaust tips/mufflers you can get that reduce the harsh sound considerably and actually sound pretty good (if you like the sound)

But most of those "mufflers" add around $600-1000 or more to the total cost of the setup. http://corsamarine.com/exhaust-silencers.aspx

Good tow arches aren't cheap either. Get a good one!

Cheers,

Rick