Drive rebuild

KevlarMT

Cadet
I have a 1987 Cobra outdrive that has a bad lower gearcase. I've looked into buying a rebuilt lower unit but I also saw a place that will do a rebuild of my current gearcase for much less. Here is a link http://www.boatparts.ca/omc-cobra-parts/cobra_sterndrive.html for their full rebuilt units and at the bottom of the page they have pricing for sending your own unit to them. Does anyone have any experience with this company? Is this a good option for getting my drive repaired? Thanks!

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
yup, now is the time to ditch the OMC drive and get an SEI on there . in the long run much better !!

you're lucky , at least you have that option , My drive is too old

KevlarMT

Cadet
I wonder if I was reading the page wrong. It seemed to me that I can send my gearcase to them and have a repair done for $345.00. Of course there's shipping to consider but it seemed much more affordable than a replacement or conversion. How much of a pain is it to replace this gear set myself? I'm pretty handy with repairs but I'm thinking there may be tools required that I don't own.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I wonder if I was reading the page wrong. It seemed to me that I can send my gearcase to them and have a repair done for $345.00.
Howdy,

It might be helpful if you indicate exactly what "repair" you need (or think you need) ?

If you had a bad enough "break" to need a new lower gear set, and you have metal (particles) in the lower you might have rebuild the upper too (the lower shares oil [and any metal debris] with the upper)

If you did get damage in the lower and the drive was operated at all after the damage occurred, you'll need to at least disassemble BOTH the lower and upper to inspect and possibly repair as required. In that event, you'll be money ahead replacing the entire mess with the SEI conversion or even find a Mercruiser engine/drive out of a rotten hull donor boat.

Regards,

Rick