Technical shifting question

kevincave

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an 89 seaswirl sierra cuddly classic. 302 with a one year old sei 116 outdrive. Bought a new shifter with the outdrive. It has been working good for a year , shifter adjustment has been great. Started not going into neutral when pulling back on the shifter. Adjusted again and I can get it shifting perfectly with the water muffs running in the driveway. Put it in the water and drive it, it won't come back into neutral. Once you the get shifter into the neutral position it will stay in drive for about 30 seconds then pops into neutral. If you shut it off goes right into neutral. Adjusted and adjusted but can't get it to change. Any ideas?

Baylinerchuck

Commander
+1 on the shift interrupt adjustment, or switch. The engine should slightly stumble when shifting to neutral. This stumble allows pressure to be relieved to help the drive slip out of gear. It has to be adjusted properly.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
kevincave Just noticed your sig says you have a Mercruiser. If so, this is in the wrong section.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
guessing the conversion drive.

you still need to make sure the shift interrupt is working.

kevincave

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When it quits raining and blowing here I'll get it out and test it. Thanks for the replies.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Your SEI dog-clutches are essentially identical in operation to the OMC dog clutches. ...... Under-cut slightly to hold them in gear when the prop is in the water and the clutches are under "torque".

The shift interrupt (whether it's a simple switch or the original OMC Shift Assist Module), briefly reduces Dog-clutch torque enough to pull them apart.

If they won't stay coupled, they're either damaged (rounded off, etc) or they're not completely coupled together.

If you cannot pull them apart when desired, the interrupt is either not activating at the right time or it's not working at all.