Part number for Lower Shift Cable

zigbat

Seaman
1988 18' SeaSwirl Sierra Cuddy - OMC 2.3L Cobra

I was checking my bellows etc and when I was putting the drive back on I screwed up and broke the brass part on my shift cable..
So now I am looking to replace it, but the only number to be found on the cable is 3193R APR 2013 its stamped in the red outer casing..
on ebay I found
"Lower Shift Cable Assembly for OMC Cobra Sterndrive Replaces 987661"
it also says..
Replaces OMC 987661 (older part numbers 986654, 987498).
Complete kit including gasket set to repair mechanical lower shift cable on OMC Cobra Sterndrives 1986-1993.
Please compare part numbers.
This cable may not fit some late model 5.0L fuel injected engines, 2.3L OMC Ford engines, 5.7L OMC engines in 1987 or late model 5.8L engines (e.g. the 1993 5.8L).
Those applications may require a special cable.

Can anyone enlighten me on this...
With no part number to be found on the cable and I dont have a parts catalog and specific numbers are not in the Service Manual
and these suckers are over a yard note easy so I only wanna have to buy one
I am having some difficulty deciding what i want to do..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first you need to know the length of the lower cable you have.

should be about $75-95 depending on where you get them. Morse, Sea Star, cable craft and about a dozen other manufactures make them (Siera are rebranded sea star)

Here is a link to iboats http://www.iboats.com/OMC-Sterndriv...2969481--session_id.947481422--view_id.270206

here is a link to fleabay that sell cables and tools as one kit http://www.ebay.com/bhp/omc-shift-cable

here is a thread with links on the instructions http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...wer-shift-cable-after-i-ramoved-the-out-drive

zigbat

Seaman
I got the tools and instructions, questionable if i know what to do with either one of them considering i had tools and instructions when i broke the old cable...
Thanks for the info, I'll check iboats out right now.

well fortunatly there are only 2 options..
The Part # 18-2245-1 looks like mine and like the cable above it replaces OMC 987661
so I am assuming the other option Part # 18-2246 with the hump on the plastic part on the engine end of the cable is the "special cable" they were talking about...
It replaces OMC # 987678 and is for the King Cobra

I guess if i had clicked them I would have seen the exact same info I just put in this reply..
was trying to be helpful, now I feel kinda stupid..
Oh well, its done now... cant hurt..

Thanks.. I feel better about what I am doing now...

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you 100% want to make sure you have the right part #, then go to Crowley Marines website and look it up in their OE OMC parts catalog. You will get the correct updated parts numbers then.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Do yourself a big favor and use the OEM part. The 18-2245-1 number is a Sierra part and not as good as the original.

There are no different lengths on the lower shift cable. They are all the same.