Looking for thoughts on OMC Stringer parts ...

southkogs

Staff member
Since I no longer have the Silverline, my "stash" of OMC parts is unnecessary. I'm going to get rid of what I have, but I'm curious as to if selling some of it is worth it. Here's the question: I have things like covers and housings that need some cleaning, but are otherwise okay. I have some gears that are used, but in good shape ... and I have a couple of gear cases that I don't know what kind of shape they're in (they came with some other part that I bought).

Looking through eBay I can't tell - is it worth it to clean these housings up and sell 'em? I could probably have someone test the lowers that I have to see if they're any good - but if not, is it worth it to try to sell? Or just make a "benevolent" post on Craigslist?

Thoughts?

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Honestly I like making money, but only you can answer whether or not your time is worth what you'll make on it. I like to see what people on EBay lists things for so you can see about what you get. Then decide whether or not you think it's worth your time.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
'kogs, I bought all my stringer parts on fleabay to fix mine when it was busticated. give another poor boater a chance on patching his up. simply spend 20 minutes on there and you will find what they are worth. personally, I prefer CL to ebay.

southkogs

Staff member
Kinda' my thinking too Scott ^^^ half of what I'm getting rid of came off CL. I've got a little bit of hitch figuring out which gears and such are worthwhile for someone to have (too worn down or not), and how much effort to put into cleaning parts. BUT ... (this goes along with what you're sayin', Chuck) ... I'm hatching a plan for my son to do some of the tear down work, clean parts and hunt up part numbers. Told him if he did most of the leg work, I'd split the take with him.

Years ago when I got rid of an old parts outboard I had, I just sold the whole caboodle as a "lot" on CL. A dude drove all the way down from Illinois to get it. That's my other option to do it again.

Thanks y'all.

Tnstratofam

Commander
One other option might be ro check with a local marina or repir shop. They might know of someone who has a stringer drive that may need extra parts.

I have a couple of local marina mechanics keeping their eyes out for Chrysler outboards that come up for sale for me.

southkogs

Staff member
One other option might be ro check with a local marina or repir shop. They might know of someone who has a stringer drive that may need extra parts.

I have a couple of local marina mechanics keeping their eyes out for Chrysler outboards that come up for sale for me.

LOL ... there isn't a marine guy that I've found locally that will even look at an OMC. Two of the guys I've run across ridicule you for having one :)

Otherwise, I woulda' done that too.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If they won't even look at an OMC are they still in diapers or don't have any experience in the marine business at all ??

southkogs

Staff member
... are they still in diapers ...
Well to be honest, more and more of 'em are lookin' like they just came outta' diapers.

The one guy here locally (about 20 minutes from the house) who is really pretty good, HATES OMC and made fun of me when I originally bought it. Told me to take it off his lot, he wouldn't even look at it. Overall, he's a good tech - but obviously a little gruff.

The other guys I've run across are younger guys. A couple had never seen a Stringer (knew what it was, but never really seen). And one guy wound up giving it back to me more broke than it started out.

We have big boats here in the Nashville area, but most of our marine shops are geared toward the bass boat crowd. That sounds more negative than I mean it, but good I/O shops are a little more scarce.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Get the same response here in the NE,.. zero respect for OMC,.. I personally have no experience with them, most marina's in my area wont even look at them.
Is that because OMC's are inferior or because they lack the knowledge,... or possibly a little bit of both ?

Tnstratofam

Commander
Get the same response here in the NE,.. zero respect for OMC,.. I personally have no experience with them, most marina's in my area wont even look at them.
Is that because OMC's are inferior or because they lack the knowledge,... or possibly a little bit of both ?

OMC's aren't inferior as far as I can tell. My Cobra drive is a good unit, and performs well. OMC has been out of business since 2002. The company closed due to EPA fines levied against them for decades of pollution. Not because of an inferior product.

That being said the Stringer drives have been out of production since the mid 80's which makes them a dinosaur unit built by a company that is no longer around.

I would imagine that a lack of available parts and no factory support makes them a hard brand to work on.
Therefore most techs, especially younger techs, probbably don't want to fool with them.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Same ^^^ is probably true of Chrysler outboards.

What are some people thinking, running OMC Stringer I/O and Chrysler OBs? :facepalm: :rolleyes:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Same ^^^ is probably true of Chrysler outboards.

What are some people thinking, running OMC Stringer I/O and Chrysler OBs? :facepalm: :rolleyes:

Hey I resemble that remark.

What can I say I like to have old obsolete cars, trucks, and boats.

John Vinzant

Seaman Apprentice
Hey now....
​I have a OMC 140 with a 400 Stringer that's still running, plus I picked up a older boat with a Chrysler Force 125......Like older stuff and the challange

southkogs

Staff member
I think it's mainly due to obsolescence and experience. Many new guys just don't have the experience, and many of the more experienced guys don't like the parts hunt for the drives - which is understandable, it takes time that they have trouble billing for.

I'm not disappointed with the boat I have now by any means, but there are some things that I do miss from the Stringer.

John Vinzant

Seaman Apprentice
Same problem here, I get laughed at when they ask what I have. that's why I got a tech manual and do the repairs myself plus using this forum...