1995 Four Winns 7.4 l won't turn over ... Nothing

bcollins47

Cadet
The boat started about a month ago when we put I put a battery charger on it. I assumed all I need to put was charge the battery. Once I charged the battery the engine won't turn over.... It doesn't even try to turn over. What I have done up to this point... Checked ignition with test light, checked to make sure boat was in neutral, checked kill switch, checked all the fuses I could find under dash. Looked for fuses in the engine compartment but couldn't find any. The gauges works and the volt gauge show 13 volts. It seem like some fuse or something is preventing it from turning over.

I can't seem to figure it out!!!!! ugh!

equipment :

1995 four winns 240 horizon
Engine 7.4l 74FEPHUB

Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks,

Brent

alldodge

Staff member
You should have a 50 amp fuse between the assist solenoid and the starter

OMC Engine Wiring.jpg

Ianlinares

Seaman
Probably one of your 50 amp fuses by your solenoid. Had same thing happen to me couple weeks ago. Fuses even looked good and tested good but it didn't work till I changed them

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Your engine should have 2 50A breakers on the starboard riser since you are in the Volvo/OMC joint venture years although the 7.4L was a little weird during those initial releases. Do you have those?

Go to page 56 of the Volvo manual. It should look like this:
http://boatinfo.no/lib/volvo/manuals/hu_elect.html#/56

Also, the gear selector needs to be in neutral to crank the starter. As controls get old, one of the failure mechanisms is that the neutral start switch gets out of whack. Put the control in neutral and try wiggling the control while you turn the ignition switch to start.

Last edited:

bcollins47

Cadet
No Title

There is a 40amp under the dash and I check it. The only thing in the engine compartment that I can find are breakers and they don't seem to be popped. I have looked all around can't find anymore. I'm I missing something ?

Volts do go down when I turn the key...

Attachments

• photo255267.jpg
    photo255267.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 3

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If volts go down when you turn the key, you either have a bad connection somewhere or a bad battery. Put a meter directly across the battery posts(the actual posts and not the cable ends) and measure the voltage when you turn the key.

Since you breakers are at your exhaust manifold, you will not have 50A fuses at the starter as mentioned before.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Or....in addition to the points Bruce pointed out, your hydrolocked

bcollins47

Cadet
Checked the battery and it is good... no other fuses. I can't find any loose wires If you cross it over at the starter it . The starter turns over but doesn't turn over the engine. Any other ideas?

What is hydrolock?

bcollins47

Cadet
Looked up hydrolock... The engine run with ear muffs 3 weeks ago. Which means it has to be something simple.

Can I bypass everything to get it to turn over and start to rule out things?

bcollins47

Cadet
oh ... when you turn the key you hear something turn on... I'm assuming is the electric fuel pump.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The starter turns over but doesn't turn over the engine. Any other ideas?
What do you mean the starter turns but the engine doesn't turn over? You mean you can hear the starter rotating but the crankshaft isn't rotating?

Fun Times

Staff member
If you cross it over at the starter it . The starter turns over but doesn't turn over the engine. Any other ideas?

What is hydrolock?
At this point don't overlook a hydro-locked situation without actually physically looking by removing all the spark plugs looking for water or too much fuel on the plugs and in the cylinders...The engine running fine 3 weeks ago don't mean much as it could have happen at the last engine shutdown.

Pull the spark plugs and then see if the engine will crank over via both the ignition key and by jumping directly to the starter.... If it's Hydro-locked, you are creating internal engine damage each time you try to crank over the engine. With the spark plugs removed, try cranking the engine over with someone carefully watching the spark plug holes for any signs of water or too much fuel shooting out.

Another possibility could be the starter assembly components has failed internally at times either not allowing the starter motor to move at all and/or not allowing the starter bendix to move/engage the flywheel when you tried bypassing the solenoid.

From your description, It seems you'll need to eliminate these possibilities before going to far elsewhere for diagnostic purposes.

Bondo

Staff member
If you cross it over at the starter it . The starter turns over but doesn't turn over the engine. Any other ideas?

Ayuh,...... I assume you jumpered the big battery wire to the big wire goin' into the starter motor on the starter solenoid,..??..??

If so, it did as expected,....

Jumper the big battery wire, to the tiny terminal closest the motor, which should excite the solenoid, engagin' the bendix, 'n turnin' the motor over,....

At the key switch, is there power to the red/ yellow wire, when the key is turned to "Start",..??

bcollins47

Cadet
Yes... there is power when the red /yellow wire. and yes... I was crossing over the two larger bolts on the solenoid.

I was going to pull the plugs anyway, so I check for hydrolock. Maybe this is a dumb question... Wouldn't you know there was a problem before a engine hydrolocked?

Bondo

Staff member
I was crossing over the two larger bolts on the solenoid.

Ayuh,.... Ya gotta jumper the big battery wire, to the red/ yellow wire on the tiny lug closest the block,....
Wouldn't you know there was a problem before a engine hydrolocked?
Not necessarily,....
If the exhaust failed the last time it was runnin', this is when you'd find out,....

bcollins47

Cadet
Thanks for all your help.... Now I understand the electrical connections on my boat.

The rest of the story...... The problem ended up being a bad solenoid on the starter.