Question about new IGN coil ohms

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer
Been trouble shooting a no spark issue using Dons how to's in the sticky threads. Pretty sure it's the coil and if it's not mine is so rusty I'm replacing it anyways.

Got two new 1.5 ohm coils. One Accel and one Flame thrower. Both say 1.5 ohm coils.

When I test the primary (-post and the + post) both coils say 2.5 ohms.

Why is this and is this normal?

Much thanks in advance

gm280

Supreme Mariner
LAC_STS, when reading low resistance on most any meter, they tend to not read super accurate. First thing you need to do is short the meter leads together to see what the leads are reading. One of my meters reads.2 ohms doing that. Then measure the coil and subtract the shorted lead reading from the coil reading. It may make a difference. Some meters have a zeroing option that when you short the meter leads together, you press a button and it zeroes the readout for that setup. Then everything else reads direct. JMHO

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer
What you are reading is the primary wind of the coil a heaver wire that is wrapped around the secondary wire which is a finer wire. Check the reading between the minus-side of the coil and the coil-tower top, where the coil wire pushes in and check the reading. Those readings seem good