Running hot...can this do it?

hshift

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 93 Sunbird, Cobra / Ford 5.0L. She's been running hotter than usual, and I have changed the thermostat and impeller, but they checked fine. As I began to back flush the system, I noticed a missing screw (see pic) and water jetting out from the hole. I'm guessing if water is coming out during back flush, that in normal operation water will pump out here as well, instead of going toward the engine. Is this a possibility? Thanks!

Attachments

• photo251455.jpg
    photo251455.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
If I'm not mistaken (and I'm not good with the Cobras), that's the OMC "stupid" screw. You need to find that mug and put it back in. You shouldn't be venting water like that. It's called the "stupid" screw basically because it serves no real purpose other than to lure unsuspecting boat owners to remove it ... only to have to find it and put it back in again.

That could very well be causing you to overheat I would think.

hshift

Seaman Apprentice
I've been on these forums long enough to know NOT to mess with the "stupid screw", just my luck it fell out.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
For sure that will cause an overheat; most of the cooling water is going out the side!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
from the OMG stickies at the top http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...oard-engines-outdrives/342742-omc-information

attachment.php

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No Title

You can plug with a soft freeze plug from any auto store.
J​ust put it in and tighten down and the hole's sealed.

Attachments

• photo251469.png
    photo251469.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 0

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Why a plug ? It's threaded right ?

Just go to a hardware store and grab a bolt . Probably cost less anyways and you don't have to worry about it falling out .

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Why a plug ? It's threaded right ?

Just go to a hardware store and grab a bolt . Probably cost less anyways and you don't have to worry about it falling out .
It's not threaded. There is a piece of threaded metal that falls into the drive cavity when you remove the screw. If it was my boat, I would not do the rubber plug hack and take the drive off and tilt it so you can retrieve that piece of metal and fix it properly.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That rubber plug is only a temp repair; the pressure of the water against it could force it out. Do as Bruce says and fix it right.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
It's not threaded. There is a piece of threaded metal that falls into the drive cavity when you remove the screw. If it was my boat, I would not do the rubber plug hack and take the drive off and tilt it so you can retrieve that piece of metal and fix it properly.

Gotcha. yeah I wouldnt fiddle around with plugs either. Find the metal piece that dropped and fix it right .

hshift

Seaman Apprentice
Gotcha. yeah I wouldnt fiddle around with plugs either. Find the metal piece that dropped and fix it right .

Do you need to split the upper and lower, or just pull the whole drive to get to it? I'm thinking of going with a plug for the 4 weeks or so left before it's time to winterize, then I'll fix for real when I have it out for good.

hshift

Seaman Apprentice
Pull the drive. You should be pulling it annually anyway.

I pull the drive every year as part of winterizing. Will be doing that in 4 to 6 weeks I'm guessing, so I want to temporarily plug till the end of this boating season.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I pull the drive every year as part of winterizing. Will be doing that in 4 to 6 weeks I'm guessing, so I want to temporarily plug till the end of this boating season.
That's kinda what I meant. Pull it at the end of the year when you do your winterization.

MRS

Commander
Plus once you get the flat metal piece out if you cannot find where to buy the rest you need. You can make one that will work, my cracked about 5yr.s ago so I got a thick rubber washer and a plastic washer that fit over the hole, plus a metal washer and a allen bolt that will fit in to threaded flat metal bar. Do not over tighten and you should be good to go. If you do find a place that sells the pieces I would like to know where you got them so I can also buy the correct ones.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The OE parts may still be available from BRP; the trick is the parts do not show up in the parts catalog for the earlier years of the Cobra, only the last 2-3 years. So look at the parts catalog for a '92 or '93 (upper gear housing section) and see if you can still get em. If not do what MRS did or similar

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
PS just checked it appears that the parts are still available . And while it looks like the hole is on the starboard side , the pic on the catalog is flipped the wrong way! Every one I have seen is like this!

MRS

Commander
Lou, Thanks I will check it out and buy parts so when mine starts to leak will have the parts to fix. So far working for 5yrs.