4.3 fuel pump mounting plate

Nateali38

Cadet
I have a 1987 OMC 4.3 that I rebuilt. I'm have some problems trying to locate either a fuel pump mounting plate or a blanking plate for the block. This is the last piece I need to get this motor fired up. Everything I have seen says the part is obsolete. I really need help on what to do here as I've been looking for awhile. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your talking the little plate on the side of the block that has 4 bolt holes and the slot for your fuel pump to mount to?

The one that is a GM part found on V6 and V8 motors from 1955 to about 2006 and still come on crate motors?

The one made out of 3/16" mild steel that is the exact size of the gasket?

Hit your local auto parts store for a fuel pump block off plate or make one or go to a salvage yard or hit the GM dealership on Monday

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How are you going to pump fuel if you use a block off plate?

Nateali38

Cadet
No Title

Your talking the little plate on the side of the block that has 4 bolt holes and the slot for your fuel pump to mount to?

The one that is a GM part found on V6 and V8 motors from 1955 to about 2006 and still come on crate motors?

The one made out of 3/16" mild steel that is the exact size of the gasket?

Hit your local auto parts store for a fuel pump block off plate or make one or go to a salvage yard or hit the GM dealership on Monday

The one I need is different and I've never seen one like this before.

Attachments

• photo251366.png
    photo251366.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you switch to an electric pump, make sure it is wired correctly with an oil pressure switch.

Nateali38

Cadet
If you switch to an electric pump, make sure it is wired correctly with an oil pressure switch.

This is why I would rather stay mechanical. I don't mind doing it but I'd rather find the mounting plate and stay away from the electric.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
1978-1985 GM 229 v6 (3.8 liter)
1985-1992 GM 262 v6 (4.3 liter)

Or get a 4-hole from a V8 and drill the hole in the middle or go to tractor supply or Lowe's or home depot, spend $7 on a piece of 3/16" metal, trace your gasket and make one. The fuel pump push rod is a $7 part (mehling)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Why would you want to buy a cover plate if your preference is to use a mechanical fuel pump? Am I missing something?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Why would you want to buy a cover plate if your preference is to use a mechanical fuel pump? Am I missing something?

Pretty sure the OP is looking for the plate that sandwiches between the block and fuel pump

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would probably give michiganmotorz a call to see if they have one.