Carburetor Rebuilt. Now boat won't start?

I just rebuilt the carburetor on my OMC Cobra 2.3 Liter. It has a GM carburetor 2 barrel, dual jet, with electric choke. I put it back together and it will not start. I tried dumping a little gas in the carb? Still didn't start? I'm not sure what else to try.
Also, it never had a problem starting before. It always started up first try. The reason for the rebuild is that I was unable to go very fast or put the boat under a load without it cutting out. I wanted to replace the accelerator pump.
Any thoughts?

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
Did you lightly seat the mixture screws and then back them out 1 1/2 turns as a starting point?

Yes, I seated the mixture screws then backed them out 1 and 1/2 turns. However, I have never done this before, and I am not real sure at what point seating is?
Another update. Gas is getting to the carburetor from the fuel pump. But, it does not appear that gas is getting into the barrels. I had my wife try to start the engine, and I could not see gas shooting into the barrels of the carbs. What could be keeping the gas from shooting into the throat? I know that the jets are really clean from the rebuild. I pushed a needle through them and totally cleaned them with cleaner.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
Maybe the needle and seat are stuck. Did you make sure the float height is correct?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
A couple things stands out to me, First, did you install the float in the correct position and not upside down. It wouldn't be the first time folks have done that. Second when you cleaned the carb, was all the passages open and clear? Did the float have a little piece of wire attached to it and the needle as well? That helps open the needle from the seat and not stick when the fuel bowl is empty or low. And finally, can you spray some fuel into the carb venturi to see if it starts? JMHO

Another update.
I checked for spark. I have spark.
Also, I poured some gas into the carburetor and it did not start.
I guess I'm going to have to pull the carburetor off and check the float, needle, and seat?
The passages looked very good. The accelerator pump, float, and needle all looked really good?
My father helped me, who is a self-proclaimed mechanic, who claims he has rebuilt many carbs. I let him do the bulb, needle, pump, etc.
Question: If I have spark, shouldn't I be able to bypass by pouring a little gas down the throat? This trick does not seem to be working?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Another update.
I checked for spark. I have spark.
Also, I poured some gas into the carburetor and it did not start.
I guess I'm going to have to pull the carburetor off and check the float, needle, and seat?
The passages looked very good. The accelerator pump, float, and needle all looked really good?
My father helped me, who is a self-proclaimed mechanic, who claims he has rebuilt many carbs. I let him do the bulb, needle, pump, etc.
Question: If I have spark, shouldn't I be able to bypass by pouring a little gas down the throat? This trick does not seem to be working?

You can spray some fuel in to check the engine out. But sometimes pouring fuel in will not start because it is too much fuel. I'd say try a little fuel in a squirt bottle and put just a little in to see if it fires up. But you either have to wait now for the fuel to dissipate or remove the plugs and turn over the engine a few turns to get the excess fuel out. Also clean the plugs of their soaked fuel before reinstalling. Id after doing that the engine doesn't fire up, you have more problems then the carb. JMHO

Woke up this morning and went out to try to start the boat. It actually cracked over and sputtered ran for a couple of seconds. It then died and went back to not being able to start? Still have not pulled the carburetor back off. I really don't want to have to do that!!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Woke up this morning and went out to try to start the boat. It actually cracked over and sputtered ran for a couple of seconds. It then died and went back to not being able to start? Still have not pulled the carburetor back off. I really don't want to have to do that!!!

If you can spray just a little fuel in the carb and the engine fires, you still have a carb problem. And as much as you don't want to pull it off again, I don't see any other option. JMHO :sorry:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
and a little bit of fuel is a little dribble.....as in less than a tea spoon.

I use a small squeeze bottle with a mix of 50:1 (that way I can start anything I own if its having a carb issue).