Newbie w/boat

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Good new is that omc impeller take about 5 minute and if i remember only two tools.

Boisebiker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Made it onto the lake this afternoon. Boat ran great. Temp got up to 175 quickly and held there the whole time i.e. no apparent impeller damage. Did a couple high speed runs, very choppy and windy so I am not satisfied that this was as good as it can go. Using a tach connected to points and a gps I got 34mph @ 4750rpm.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Go ahead and change impeller, keep old as a back up. It really is that easy

Boisebiker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Spent some time taking out all the wiring for the trolling motor. Did some repair on the blower and have to replace all of the blower ducting. Sump pump also does not turn on, although the last trip to the lake produced no water in the boat. Now I want to add sound proofing to engine dog house and then repair speed sensor pickup tube.
Have spent past week trying to get boat and trailer titled in my name. Boat is pretty straight forward, trailer not so much. Previous owner had no title info on trailer and said they never got any when they bought it. After calling California DMV we are more confused then ever, at least 5 different forms to fill out, multiple fees and a full disclosure from me and person I bought it from. What a pain.

Boisebiker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Still no joy on the trailer title but I did spend Labor Day on the lake. Boat ran well all day, burned about half a tank. Only little issues left like putting boat in reverse usually causes it to stutter and stall. Restart and it runs fine forward. Also tow rope sits so low that it drags and the tube stay in the wake also splashes rider. I want to build a pylon that gets rope above hull, any ideas?

Bondo

Staff member
I want to build a pylon that gets rope above hull, any ideas?

Ayuh,.... I suggest ya post a thread in the general boatin' forum on that,.... ;)

Not really a repair or restoration,....

Defiantly not a motor or drive issue,....

Boisebiker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well the season has come to an end. We were able to put the boat on the water 5 straight Saturdays since we bought it and it has been well worth it. I seemed to have the reverse issue worked out. The shift system needed to be cleaned, greased and adjusted. For the most part I was able to just run the boat with little work since buying it. All of the fluids were clean and water free so I ran the boat. We put about 30 gallons of fuel thru it this season, never was able to burn more than a half of a tank in a single day(21 gallon tank). Now it is time to winterize and get the covers squared away for outside storage.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The OMC issue(s), is/are that they have been out of business since 2000, there is limited knowledge on some of their products such as the Cobra drives, and some parts are getting hard to find, but most of what you need is still out there either OE (from BRP, parent company of Evinrude) or in the aftermarket (Sierra or GLM). I suggest you pick up an OE shop manual if you can find one. My personal opinion of the Cobra drives is if they are adjusted and maintained properly they are excellent, as good as anything else out there. The issue is that depending on where you are, there are very few techs who know how to properly adjust them. And the adjustment is a bit tricky. I have had mine in salt water, moored there for 6 months each season and it has held up very well with regular maintenance. I taught myself how to set up the shift cable a few years ago and do all the maintenance myself. There is a website called Midnight Wolf OMC parts where they sell the tools you need to adjust the shift cable and also have updated instructions as well. As noted the impeller is very easy to replace, 10 min job. Good luck with the boat, it looks good and having been in a dry climate like Cali means less chance of rot, which is very common in all older boats.

Boisebiker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
While gathering the parts needed for winterizing I have hit some road bumps. At some point I thought I had bookmarked a site where the OEM manual was available for viewing, now I can't find it. I am also confused on which impeller kit, can't find exact part for my 2.3 outdrive. And finally as many posts as I read I always end up second guessing myself on the dang gear oil. Is GL-5 all I need to look for or is there a specific weight that is needed?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you want OE parts, I have used Crowley Marine in Colorado, they have all the OMC online catalogs on their site. You just go into OMC parts, select OMC sterndrives, select your year and model # and then look up your parts. If you have a local dealer that sells Evinrude outboards, they can order OE parts from Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP), they are the company who bought OMC's assets after the bankruptcy. Most boat supply stores can order Sierra aftermarket stuff, and if course you can get them off of iboats. For impellers and bellows, I'd stay with OE if you can....

http://www.crowleymarine.com/1/OMC-Stern-Drive/1988.cfm