Newbie w/boat

Boisebiker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just want to introduce my self here. Just picked up a 1988 Bayliner Capri with the Ford 2.3. Yes I am new to boats, yes I was just looking for a starter boat, and yes I am a gluten for punishment. I am a fairly good home mechanic, do all my own wrenching on dirt bikes, snowmobiles, cars, campers and anything else that has a motor. I built my own Duramax/Allison Suburban 9 years ago and drive it today. I own 4 Volkswagen TDI and do my own repairs. I have been looking for a boat for years and just could not pass up on this deal ($1000, bimini, boat cover, galvanized trailer, worn seats but present/usable). Boat was always covered and the floor is solid. I have 6 small children and want to give them the joys that come with boating. I am not expecting a lot, some tubing, small skiers and maybe some wakeboarding. If I find the boat to be unacceptable then I will let it go, no harm no fowl.

Thanks for reading,
Boisebiker

Last edited:

Pusher

Lieutenant
Ahoy @boisebiker,

Some tips on future posts since I learned it all the hard way.

People don't like to reply to your questions unless you post pics (which requires a photobucket account). You can upload thumbnails from here but the majority of the time you'll get the photobucket suggestion.

Don't suggest workarounds to the long way if they aren't as good. I've learned this isn't that kind of place.

Don't link to other boat forums for informational purposes. The mods will delete the link, so best to describe the nature of the discussion in the other forum.

The only other thing that I can see making things easier is if you reply to people with quotes... obviosly. You can link to other threads in the forum too. Post the link to the quoted post by going to that post and cliking its post number. A url will appear and you can copy/paste it into your post.

Have fun with the new toy and crackin the whip on your kids tubes!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

im going to cringe at the late 80's bayliner and 2.3 OMC.... will leave it at that.

your going to find that the 2.3 pinto motor (ok, its actually a ford ranger motor) would not be a first choice for wakeboarding and skiing. it will pull a tube and get you fishing, however doesnt have a lot of power.

Even the 3.0 liter would just barely be enough power.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome. 6 kids, wife and you in a boat with a 2.3 is not a screamer but if it runs and gets you to a beach then enjoy.

Are you aware of the OMC issue?

Boisebiker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
"The OMC issue" are telling me there is only one?:rofl:

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
"The OMC issue" are telling me there is only one?

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Seems yer comin' into this with both eyes Open,...
'n with a good sense of Humor,.....

I'm with Scott,... Of all the choices out there, ya coulda had a better start,...
'course it could also be Alot worse too,....
A V-6 Buick with an electric stringer drive comes to mind,...
Or,...
A 470 Merc, blown, with an ole corroded MC-1 drive,...

After readin' yer posts, I've only got 1 question,......

Does it Run,..??

southkogs

Staff member
"The OMC issue" are telling me there is only one?:rofl:
Yup ... the one between the prop and the pulleys :D

Welcome aboard. I'm a former OMC owner, and if they get raggin' on ya' too bad just tell 'em "at least it didn't have a Stringer."

Boisebiker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does it run??? Very good question, and right now no. Previous owner said that they used it 2 seasons ago and then it sat, covered. This year it would not start, they did not want to deal with it so I bought it. Spent some time last night looking it over, looks to be no spark. I thought it was carb when I bought it, but at least accelerator pump works and squirts fuel. So I got out the trusty volt meter. Coil ohms out within spec but I get 0v on the + post on the coil with the ignition in the on position. Motor turns over and sound healthy, oil look clean and water free. Boat was in Sacramento so little chance of freezing and was only used in fresh water. So next step is to figure out why I have no power to the coil. This boat does have a kill switch with a lanyard and I ran out of time last night to test the things I know. I do need a wiring diagram so I can track the ignition power to the coil, or suggestions on where the power may be broken.

Too bad OMC got such a bad rep. I think the Bayliner is a very good looking boat with a lot of options for it price point. As for a first boat it has got to be better than my parent old tri-hull with 75hp outboard. That boat taught a lot of kids how to ski and has used many gallons of fuel pulling a tube around.

Where can I find a wiring diagram for a 1988 Bayliner w/2.3 Cobra? Will probably order a manual shortly but I think this is an easy fix.

Thanks for the help.

soccerguy83

Cadet
I recently had the same no power to positive coil, look for the big connector from engine to rest of the boat, it will be approximately 1.5" in diam. Pull that apart and clean each connection very well then use some dielectric grease, might just work. Also could run a jumper wire temporarily from the pos term on battery to the pos on the coil, so you could start working out the no start issues.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Welcome to boating. Some of our best times have been on our boats and we hope it carries along to our kids and someday they continue the tradition. I liked the look of the late 80's Bayliners back when they were new. When I was a kid, the late 80's Bayliner Cobra was my dream boat when it came out. Might have steered clear and got something that is in running order but it sounds like you have the wherewithal and the ability to go about getting the old girl going again. Definitely post some pics.

Boisebiker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

As you can see it is a typical late 80's Capri. I like the look and I can use it this year without needing vinyl. Then I can work on it over the winter.

Attachments

• photo251164.jpg
    photo251164.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251165.png
    photo251165.png
    1,001.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251166.jpg
    photo251166.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 0

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
As you can see it is a typical late 80's Capri. I like the look and I can use it this year without needing vinyl. Then I can work on it over the winter.
Love it. Lol but obviously I have the same boat - the 2.3 does have abad rap but I pull skiers all day long and not just kids. If it's tuned and running right it can rip along no problem. As for it not running - try cleaning the points with some sand paper then see if the spark comes back. It's a very easy motor to work on. - good luck

Boisebiker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have to get power to the coil them I will check points. Borrowed a dwell meter from my buddy and need to find my timing light to get it all up to snuff.

Boisebiker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It was the points. Thick layer of goo on them. Emery cloth and a set of feelers and back on they went. Took a minute but the boat fired up. Now to get it out and hook up the hose.

Bondo

Staff member
Took a minute but the boat fired up. Now to get it out and hook up the hose.

Ayuh,.... Ya probably just smoked the impeller,....

Boisebiker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is the impeller so fragile that it can only handle 15 second of dry run time? I am afraid if that were the case we would all have to replace it every time we fire up the motor in the lake. It was on my list of parts to check anyway. What do I look for if I am inspecting it?

Bondo

Staff member
I am afraid if that were the case we would all have to replace it every time we fire up the motor in the lake.

Ayuh,.... When you back yer boat in at the launch, lower the drive, 'n start the motor,....

The impeller is already flooded,....

Personally, I wouldn't even do a compression test turnin' a dry impeller,....
'n I run Globe impellers,...

jkust

Rear Admiral
Love the look of that boat. Those gauges really take me back. I'd love to have one of these fully restored in the fleet.