1987 Bayliner Trophy 2160 with a 5.7

cbain

Seaman
I know your saying that this and model of boat did not come with a 5.7. I know I called Bayliner to verify my research was accurate. Now with said, clearly someone has put this engine in the boat. my questions to you are, Is this good for my 21 foot Bayliner trophy? I also have a broken starter issue that I'm hoping is a shim issue. any help would be great.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

anything could have happened to your boat over the past 30 years.

define your broken starter issue. starters never go bad unless it was installed wrong (shimming issue) or you hydrolocked due to water ingestion from a leaking manifold to riser gasket or a missing exhaust flapper.

cbain

Seaman
sorry it has taking me so long to get back to the forum but I do have a picture of the starter I will post that in just a moment
(the broken starter of course) so if it is hydrolocked what is the procedure to fix the issue?

cbain

Seaman
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

These are the broken starter. I got the boat this way..((I know dumb move)) but I have a passion for fixing things so this is where I will be starting .. PUN INTEDED.. Thanks for any help..

alldodge

Staff member
If its hydrolocked (probably is) pull the plugs and see what they look like. If you find rust or water it would be best to pull the motor and take it apart. If it has been sitting this way a long time, might be best to get another long block

cbain

Seaman
it was on the water about 10 days ago running. when it was docked the next day starting is when the starter broke. is this too long if it is hydrolocked?

alldodge

Staff member
No, you might get lucky.
Pull the plugs, and try to crank it over by hand. If water comes out the holes use air to get as much water out as possible. If it cranks over by hand, install starter,, puts some oil in the cylinders and crank it a bit.

Then find out how the water got there. Most probable is the exhaust

cbain

Seaman
The exhaust flaps? Where do I purchase repair parts or a rebuild kit if that is the fault?

alldodge

Staff member
If there is water it might have happened from the flappers, but more then likely it happened because the manifold or riser is cracked. If you have bat wing style, then I'm 85% sure its the manifold. This is a V6 model but the design is the same for V8.

Edit: and just google OMC exhaust parts

fetch

Last edited:

cbain

Seaman
My manifolds look different. I would post a picture but I'm at work. all I can say is my riser can be unbolted from the manifold and it is an OMC

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
My manifolds look different. I would post a picture but I'm at work. all I can say is my riser can be unbolted from the manifold and it is an OMC

If your manifolds and risers are in good shape, it may just be a riser gasket leak. If the risers and/or manifolds are in anyway questionable, replace BOTH the manifolds and risers.

cbain

Seaman
Ok so I took spark plugs out last night and turned engine over no water came out of the engine. I also found that the flapper valves looked like they have been there for a LONG time. They where melted into a little ball and the rubber was hard as steel. as for as this forum was intended my starter was the issue. can anyone tell me what starter I need for the 5.7 if I where to get it at advanced auto parts. The starter in the picture above ( the one that broke) is P#- 6449SV. is this correct? I am going to attempt to start the boat this weekend.

cbain

Seaman
Again I don't know the year of the engine. all I know is this year of boat did not come with a 5.7. it is a 5.7 with OMC risers/manifolds and a cobra outdrive.

alldodge

Staff member
You need a standard staggered bolt pattern GM starter, but it MUST be a marine starter. Do not get an automotive starter, you might just get blown up. You could google 350 or 5.7 marine starter and many will show up

The part number for Mercruiser 50-863007A1, and note in the link below there is a bracket (item 3) used to support the starter
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/s.../31741/1014/10

Oh, and buddy at the dock here has an OMC 350 with the batwing exhaust

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Oh, and buddy at the dock here has an OMC 350 with the batwing exhaust
What year was it because my 87 certainly didn't have it. Neither did a 75. Also had friends with years in between and they didn't have them either. No google search brought any up.

Please take a picture of this guys exhaust next time you see it.

cbain

Seaman
Ok new starter is on with brand new battery as well. All I'm getying is rapid clicking and no starter the IMG motor over. I also don't understand the three solenoids on top of the engine. Can I get some help on this as well guys. Please and thank you. My wife is about to kill me lmao...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Have you checked the connections on all your battery cables? Even check the one that is grounded to the block. Take them all off and wiggle their ends and check for corrosion. Sand them until they are shiny bare metal and reinstall.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No batwing manifolds on anything but a V-6.
​The 5.7 was made in those years and someone maybe put it in or retagged what you have?
On the rear of the motor behind the head on the bell housing mount are a bunch of numbers.
Post what it says.

Use a marine starter or use the blocking plate on the new one.
ARCO or maybe e-bay ​0984456