Just a positive for the old OMC

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Posted here to throw a positive out there for OMC. My boat is a 1989 Reinell with a 4.3 but looks like a much newer boat. It has been a good boat but will need some work on shift cables, gimbal bearing, coupler ect). Has the modified shift cable but the rest of that stuff is original. I just had a large family reunion on Table Rock lake Missouri. 35 people and my boat (and Jetski). I knew the boat was going to get worked hard and I was worried. It was going to be the primary entertainment and a break down would hurt peoples fun. The old boat ran sun up to sundown loaded with max people and max weight. Pulled tubes and skiers all day every day. Nothing on it failed. The gimbal bearing is getting loud and I think the coupler is slipping once in a while. Winter project. Ran the gps the whole time. Boated 361 miles in 4 days. Around 30 gallons of fuel each day. The 4.3 and OMC Cobra have been durable for me.

vasy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
3 Mpg is not bad.
It would cost here about $140/day for that amount or fuel :)

southkogs

Staff member
Good times! It's a good feeling when the oldies keep ya' going ... even better if you get to tow a whipper-snapper boat in too.

Glad y'all had fun!

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Fuel was $3.30 a gallon. People were real good about chipping in.

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good times! It's a good feeling when the oldies keep ya' going ... even better if you get to tow a whipper-snapper boat in too.

Glad y'all had fun!

You aren't kidding about towing a newer boat in. Unfortunately I was on the other end of it and my friend gets to have that enjoyment.

My boat is about 15 years newer than a friend's boat. When I bought mine the motor had 14.6 hours on it compared to who knows how many on his and everything had been redone on mine. Second day at the lake... he had to tow me back. He absolutely loved that. We were cruising back at the end of the day and all of a sudden it was as if somebody took both of my batteries and just tossed them overboard. Completely dead.

Thankfully the next day my dad and I went back with the proper test light and such and 20 minutes later I was running again and haven't had a problem since. It was either just a bad wire or connection between the battery and breaker. Since my dad had wire in his truck already he replaced that wire real quick and it didn't cost me a penny.

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class
mine has been good too, the old ford 2.3 is doing alright. still have to get to the tuneup stuff on it and try to keep the idle in check with adjusting the cable but overall its a good boat.

glad you have had good luck with yours!
steve

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1990 Chris Craft Concept 198 Cuddy that I bought new with the 4.3l HO and I still drive it every weekend with flawless performance and reliability. Realistically, I don't even do that much maintenance. Change the oil every couple of years...

I have changed the plugs once, have the original belts and hoses, etc.

This weekend I heard what sounded like a bearing going out on the water pump or PS pump, then determined that it is the bilge blower! Shifting is a hair sticky, but has been like that since new.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have a 1990 Chris Craft Concept 198 Cuddy that I bought new with the 4.3l HO and I still drive it every weekend with flawless performance and reliability. Realistically, I don't even do that much maintenance. Change the oil every couple of years...
Have you ever changed the bellows or raw water pump impeller?