Cannot find Transom plate for King Cobra big block 1993 thundercraft

grewvin1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Would like to know if anyone has information if 1993 was a cross over year for Volvo and the transom plate would work in place of the King Cobra big block transom plate. I have heard this could be done as cannot find King Cobra Transom plate.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I seem to remember you saying the corrosion was on the bellows connection at the transom mount
You probably need to be a bit more specific on what you want. Do you need a "transom plate" , OMC #0913826 TRANSOM PLATE?
Or do you need #0986977 GIMBAL HOUSING ?
Now having said that, The partnership started in the early 90's. since OMC had a LOT of DOG-Clutch Cobras still in the pipeline, they still offered them for the lower HP engines. The bigger ones (7.4, 7.5,8.2 ) got the interim Cone Clutch drive starting about 90...Then the SX's
The break point is when you see engine mounted raw water pumps. (If your raw water pump is drive mounted You have the NON Volvo drive)
The Volvo SX for the big block engines is different. I would suggest you call a Volvo dealer and ask them if there is a Volvo Transom plate that will fit your transom mount. I don't believe there is. You'll probably have to scrounge a transom plate or transom housing (if that's what you really need) from a wrecked boat or wrecking yard.

Your only other option other than welding etc, will probably be changing the transom mount and the drive to all Volvo (SX)

grewvin1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

you can see the busted part where the bellows would attach. this is the transom plate on the outside not being the expert on this part not sure if you would call it the gimbal housing. 454 engines on this boat. have other photo's but system tells me they are too big to attach.

Attachments

• photo250741.png
    photo250741.png
    807.3 KB · Views: 0

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
you can see the busted part where the bellows would attach. this is the transom plate on the outside not being the expert on this part not sure if you would call it the gimbal housing. 454 engines on this boat. have other photo's but system tells me they are too big to attach.

Yeah, I think you need a 0987066 PIVOT HOUSING ASSY.

Go to http://epc.brp.com To find part illustrations.

Your only choice will likely be a part from a wrecked boat. The corrosion looks bad enough that you should probably look both transom mounts and drives over carefully. If both are bad enough, you might consider a repower.

Last edited: