'86 OMC GM 2.5L

soccerguy83

Cadet
Today, I adjusted the dwell. I then tried to get her to start. I primed it with three pumps of the throttle and hit the key, she didn't even hesitate, she fired right up! I then set the timing. I might need to adjust the idle on the carb slightly as I kept it in the gas ever so slightly. All in all I'm stoked!!

I do still have a bit of nagging regarding fear of not flowing enough water, but we will see how that goes!

soccerguy83

Cadet
Yes that has been replaced along with the Water Pump. Risers and manifolds have been replaced, though I'm not sure when.

soccerguy83

Cadet
Tonight I put in the new battery, checked the bilge pump and adjusted the carb.

One problem is that the temp crept up above 180F before I shut her down. I know that the impeller was replaced since its been in the water, also know that the riser and manifold has been replaced but I don't know when. I'm hoping that it might have just been not enough flow on the single sided muffs, am I being neive?

vasy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can't run my motor on the muffs for more then 15-20 minutes but runs fine in the lake.
Probably just low flow from the hose.

soccerguy83

Cadet
I think I found my issue, the cap on the end of the manifold was clogged. The thermostat housing and manifold looked great though! She now holds under 180f on muffs! Gonna splash her next Sunday!

Boisebiker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Watching, want to see how it runs. I just went through the same thing on my 2.3. Have taken it out 2 times and kids have had a blast.

soccerguy83

Cadet
Wife and I went down to the local landing this weekend. She had never handled a boat before at the ramp and she did a fantastic job maintaining the lines and keeping everything secure while I was working the truck!

Started her at the ramp and she seemed to be doing fine. Then we left the ramp area and went out onto the river, she started creeping up in temp until it got to the point I felt it wasn't going back down around 220F and I shut her down and put the anchor out. She also had a bit of a miss as well. We waited about 15-20 mins and I went to start her again once she had cooled off below 180F and it was a no go, turn the key and nothing. Ended up getting towed the 300yds back to the ramp and on the ride home I thought that I might not have had her fully in neutral (it's a bit finicky sometimes on the safety switch).

When I got home yesterday I put the muffs on her and jiggled the lever into neutral and she fired right up. This weekend I will be pulling all the cooling system components and start trying to figure out where my flow is being restricted. I'm hoping it's the t-stat, but have a feeling that it's in the riser. Also need to figure out why I have a miss at mid-throttle, any idea if the idle mixture screws could be playing a role there?

southkogs

Staff member
Does your cable need adjusting maybe? Though mixture screws could be a factor.

soccerguy83

Cadet
I don't think so, cable is set at the same point before rebuild of carb and it ran fine at that set point. I will experiment though! I'm just wondering if I ended up getting my mix screws set too lean, they are both at 1.5 turns out from soft seat. Prior to rebuild they were at 2 3/8 and 3 1/8 out front and back respectively prior to rebuild.

soccerguy83

Cadet
I pulled apart the cooling system yesterday. Impeller was good, manifold looked good. The riser was shot, I'm guessing they were last replaced at different times. The thermostat was shot, completely seized closed and had designated in the housing. I'm hoping to get by with the housing I currently have.

Now to order more parts!

soccerguy83

Cadet
All my parts came in and I finished reinstalling everything this evening. Went to go start it and it wanted to crank the first time and then it just turned over. I tried two shots of starting fluid and still nothing. I then tried cleaning the points and still nothing. By that time I didn't have time to mess with it.

The only thing that changed from the last time it ran was going through the cooling system (shouldn't effect starting), and adjusting the mixture screws (might effect starting), it was also cooler out tonight so I'm wondering if the auto choke was closed too far.

Any other thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member
Any other thoughts?

Ayuh,..... Check for Spark,.... If it's got points, I'd guess their corroded,....

Also, splash gas down the carb, insteada ether,....

soccerguy83

Cadet
Will def check for spark, I'm not sure that the points would have corroded in three weeks since it last ran, (nor anything else electrical for that matter) though I did clean the points to rule that out.

My money is still on the choke being set too tight, it was set in Aug in 90+F weather and now we are in the upper 60's to upper 70's.

soccerguy83

Cadet
Yep it was the choke, the drop in temps was causing the choke plate to be forced fully closed, started right up tonight after adjustment.

The boat ran for 20+ mins and never even came close to 180F. I could hold my hand on the riser as long as I wanted.

I can't wait for another trial run this Saturday!

soccerguy83

Cadet
Let's catch back up!

I last had the boat out in Sept. I put it in the water and it ran great, ran two mikes up the river and back down to the ramp. Everything was behaving as it should have, I went just past the ramp and looked down and saw the temp gauge go from 165F and climb to 240F before I could even slow the boat down. Got her off plane and killed the engine. I then got a tow back to the ramp as after she cooled down I couldn't get her started. I thought a piece of trash got caught in the t-stat, and I hadn't messed with it until today when I wnterized it.

Today when I pulled the spark plugs to spray fogging oil in the cylinders all the spark plugs looked good until I got to cylinder 4. It was covered in oil!

Thoughts?

southkogs

Staff member
How's compression on #4? At the same time - I would see if you can figure out water flow. I'm guessing the two aren't related ... but that's just a guess.