Won't run on plane

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I put a few cans of heat in my gas tank. It plained up but only for a couple hundred yards. I had a buddy looking in the carbs while running and as it dies, there is 100% fuel delivery but I'm still not sure where to go from here maybe carb is flooding out it only has air fuel adjustment but accelerator pump possible any other suggestions

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I put a few cans of heat in my gas tank. It plained up but only for a couple hundred yards. I had a buddy looking in the carbs while running and as it dies, there is 100% fuel delivery but I'm still not sure where to go from here maybe carb is flooding out it only has air fuel adjustment but accelerator pump possible any other suggestions
Heet is mostly alcohol. it will not take care of very much water if there is a lot.

If that's the stock carburetor, it's a fairly "plain vanilla" Holley.

If you had water in the filter, It may be "starving". Try disconnecting the fuel line from the tank to the filter and cap it off. Get yourself a portable container and connect it to the to the filter (with a new filter) and try it that way. That way, you eliminate the fuel tank, pickup screen, and anti-siphon check valve from the mix......

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is a brilliant idea and that'll tell me which way to work. Wow I'm on it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q174/unholytib/ignition_coil2.gif Not sure if you can see this but I had some cool suspicion and my readings are 9100 ohms of resistance tower to + or- and 1100 - to +. My to tower readings are a bit lower than the recommended 11000 ish and higher - to + which says should be .75ohms. Would this suggest the coil is bad. And could it cause intermittent problems.

Probably not. If the coil is not open or shorted, they usually work. NGK claims the typical resistance of a secondary coil winding can vary from 8K-approx 20K

These guys say 6K-22K

Coil (primary winding) resistance can vary from about 0.3 ohm to around 2ohms

You just want to see very high resistance (not MEG ohms) at the secondary and VERY low resistance (NOT zero or 0.1 ohm) at the primary. It's a very simple transformer with a very high turns ratio, and the "bottom" of both windings grounded.

I would however, verify the fuel system before looking at the ignition. That may solve your problem. (of course creating another problem of having to completely clean out the tank and replace hoses etc!!)

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Right. I'll definitely be rigging up an auxiliary tank. I also was made notice of a tube from spark arrestor to fuel pump it is gunked up severely could this be another part of the problem.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I also was made notice of a tube from spark arrestor to fuel pump it is gunked up severely could this be another part of the problem.
That tube is to detect fuel leaking from the fuel pump. In an automotive application, (the tube is not present) the fuel would go on the ground or into the crankcase.

With a marine pump, the tube is there to port fuel into the carburetor intake instead of into the bilge (and BOOM!!!)

So if you see ANYTHING in that tube, it's very possible that the fuel pump diaphragm is leaking. (and you need a new pump)

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update: ran boat off of an auxiliary tank
(6-gallon can) and it ran beautifully so I automatically assumed that the gas had water in it, so I siphoned out 25 gallons cleaned tank as good as I could re assembled filled back up with 25 gallons of fresh gas put it in the water and BAM same problem I'm at my end at this point. Soo longer story shortened a bit anti siphon valve was bad. What causes that little pos to go bad and do I really need it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Update: ran boat off of an auxiliary tank
(6-gallon can) and it ran beautifully .................Soo longer story shortened a bit anti siphon valve was bad. What causes that little pos to go bad and do I really need it.
You really do need it....

Those anti-siphon check valves are there to prevent fuel from siphoning out if the flexible line cracks and breaks. According to the USCG requirements, if ANY fuel line is routed below the level of the tank, there must be an anti-siphon checkvalve present.

In reality, if the fuel line were ever to develop a leak and that leak occurred below the fuel level of the tank, fuel would siphon all the way to that level. If it was below or close to the bottom of the tank, you would have 44 gallons of fuel siphon into the bottom of the boat.

They're definitely there for a good reason. Yours is nearly 30 years old. The valves are usually made of aluminum with a stainless steel check ball and spring. Allowing gasoline to sit in there for long periods of time (maybe contaminated with a little water or other debris) would possibly "gum" up the ball and spring.

Also, your pick up tube might either have a hole in the screen (or it is missing.)

When I had my tank out of my 87 Lib in 2005, I just replaced the anti-siphon valve. The old one was ok but a new one was cheap and I was already in there!

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Rick I really really appreciate all the knowledge you have shared and hope to be a member here for a long time.

Wtfo never idle.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Rick I really really appreciate all the knowledge you have shared and hope to be a member here for a long time.

Wtfo never idle.

:thumb: Glad to help! How about a picture of that thing?

I'll show you mine!!
Liberator11_zpsumanxfnf.jpg

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
If clicked on it blows up to see better.

Just one picture? :grumpy:

Nice looking Lib!

I toyed with the idea of finding a 261 but there doesn't seem to be a LOT of them on the west coast!

I wanted to find one with blown/bad/no engines so I could install aluminum 383's with aluminum manifold/risers and and Bravo III's! The weight reduction would be significant!

The problem is when you find boats like that, they've spent years sitting outside in the weather. Then they frequently need extensive (rotten) wood replacement of the floor, stringers, transom etc!

This winter I am planning to do upholstery and maybe remove all the striping and decals to do a full gel-cote polish and re-stripe.

BTW, if you upload your pictures to Photobucket or other similar photo hosting site, you can simply copy/paste the "link" to the photo into any forum post or email etc.

That way you're not always uploading the same file over and over. AND if you're sending someone a picture via email, you don't have to send a HUGE file(s) attached to the email (of which many email providers have limits on file size)

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
https://images.craigslist.org/00l0l_fn6cc8zEeVE_1200x900.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/00F0F_jXnAiyi6XH2_1200x900.jpg.
https://images.craigslist.org/00n0n_iz1wShnd0EA_1200x900.jpg

Here's a couple more of the Craig's list post I got it from I traded my Harley for it. I probably should set up my iCloud acct jus not real tech savvy. I'd bet those 383's will get nasty. From all I've read this set up I've got 460 bb and out drive are hard to get parts for so I'll be on the prowl for a 100% swap. I'd guess gm with a bravo?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
https://images.craigslist.org/00l0l_fn6cc8zEeVE_1200x900.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/00F0F_jXnAiyi6XH2_1200x900.jpg.
https://images.craigslist.org/00n0n_iz1wShnd0EA_1200x900.jpg

Here's a couple more of the Craig's list post I got it from I traded my Harley for it. I probably should set up my iCloud acct jus not real tech savvy. I'd bet those 383's will get nasty. From all I've read this set up I've got 460 bb and out drive are hard to get parts for so I'll be on the prowl for a 100% swap. I'd guess gm with a bravo?

Well, that's what I did. I actually looked for a Volvo Penta BB/duo prop or SX drive etc but never found one in the Seattle PNW area, but found several Mercruiser engine/drive packages. In Fact, right after I bought the 1997 7.4L+ Bravo III, I found a MUCH newer 8.1L + Bravo III package with only 80 hrs on it! (about $3000 MORE) I was REALLY tempted to sell the 7.4 and go with it.

I even considered buying new packages ..........both the Volvo and Mercruiser (new) were about $24,000 (+ Installation!):eek::eek: (that wasn't going to happen!!!)

I almost bought a 300hp 5.7L MAG MPI Bravo I 2004 model year if I remember correctly.........It was a salt water engine and closed cooled with 400 hrs on it. He was asking $7500 and I offered $6000 for it (he turned me down)

I was about to offer $6500 (which the Merc guy that had it said he would probably take) when the 97 7.4L [carbureted] Merc showed up on Craigslist.

Got it for $5000........The Merc guy told me I "stole" it. He would have sold it for $7500 easily! + install.

Four Winns did offer the 211 with a 5.7L AND 7.4L(carbed) + Alpha....... and later the 7.4L with a Bravo I.

Speaking to people with the 5.7 (260?) they said the 211 was slow out of the hole and topped out at around 50 MPH or so. Skiers would probably not like being dragged slowly through the water getting up on a plane!!

Mine was also sort of slow out of the hole even when it was new (my brother told me) after he had the engine rebuilt and sort of tricked out, he said it was still a little slow out of the hole (topped out over 60 though once up on a plane)

The 460 was rated at 340hp (crankshaft), the 454 was rated at 330hp crankshaft....... that translates into about 300hp PROPSHAFT

Back in the mid to late 80's the inboard/I-O engines were rated "crankshaft" HP.

Now of course they're rated prop HP and that 5.7L MAG MPI I looked at was also rated at prop HP. SO I suspect the 300hp 5.7L engine would perform at least as good as the original 460/454 engines of that day. (and be less weight in the back)

I originally was skeptical about the Bravo III (I was going to get the 5.7+ Bravo I) So I thought I was taking a chance getting the III when that 7.4 showed up.

I wouldn't trade it now though. I can almost beat any ski boat outta the hole now!!! I can top out at about 57mph (@4600) .......a tad slower but the holeshot more than makes up for it! All that with the 1.81:1 ratio drive and 26 pitch props It does about 55 MPH with 24p props and "bumps" the rev limiter at 4700)

I suppose it would be right back at 60mph if I installed a "built" 454 with no rev limiting...... There's NO end to this stuff!!!

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
This lib is a bit slow outta the hole. I'm happy with top end but I love the ride. There's a lot of traffic on the Mississippi River plus large cruisers and barges but this heavy deep V hull rides like a caddy. Which I don't have to come off plane every time a wave comes by. A buddy of mine jus got his phantom back in the water w/509. But that thing is narrow not real deep and it's a wild ride crazy fast. Hope to get several seasons outta this set up before I have to swap it. I never knew those MAG 350 put out that much hp.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
This lib is a bit slow outta the hole. I'm happy with top end but I love the ride. There's a lot of traffic on the Mississippi River plus large cruisers and barges but this heavy deep V hull rides like a caddy. Which I don't have to come off plane every time a wave comes by. A buddy of mine jus got his phantom back in the water w/509. But that thing is narrow not real deep and it's a wild ride crazy fast. Hope to get several seasons outta this set up before I have to swap it. I never knew those MAG 350 put out that much hp.

Yeah. I think the slow hole shot is a characteristic of the 211 regardless of engine (with a single prop drive) . With the BBC/BBF engine + drive, and full fuel , it's easily a 5000lb boat! (2900 boat, 1300 eng/dr, (and more with 4-200lb adults!) so it takes a bit of thrust to get it up on a plane!

Mercruiser has been pushing the 6.2l V-8 (320propshaft) as a "drop-in" replacement for the 454 for years. I don't know how well it would stack up with a stock 7.4L (or the 460 for that matter) but it would probably be so close as to make little or no difference in top speed etc.

The difference in hole shot is all due to the Bravo III in my boat. There's FAR more static thrust out of the hole. I have Bennett Tabs on mine but for top speed and hole-shot, I run them up at the top limit which puts them essentially out of the picture.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Is it just the picture or does one of the blades of your prop have a squared off edge?

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea Bruce all of the edges of that prop have about a 4" flat edge for the tip of it. It's a ballistic prop jus under 1k. 23p.