stern drive won't raise

landlubberlost

Recruit
the motor that raises and lowers my stern drive stopped working. It worked all day untill it came time to get the boat out of the water. Figures. Is there a way to get the drive up so I can get this thing home? I am a clueless newbie but I've watched (youtube) and read a bunch here tonite. It it a worm gear type. I have a 1985 seaswirl sierra with a 4.3l engine. God knows who the drive is made by, I should have took a pic. oh well.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
You'll have to get in the water with it, but remove the three bolts holding the quadrant gear to the stern drive. Lift the drive by hand (lots easier with a buddy) and replace the quadrant gear and bolts. It should hold just fine for ya' on the trailer if the clutch pack is still okay.

Welcome aboard.

landlubberlost

Recruit
sorry I have not returned to see if anyone replied.

to Southkogs. Got it home (pricy tow) pulled the motor and of course it spun both ways. But I realize spinning unloaded doesn't mean it has any torque.

You: remove the three bolts holding the quadrant gear to the stern drive. Me: did that (I think) newbie here.

Question: I cant lift the motor. Should it do so because the gears should turn? Is the clutch froze? I'm thinking it is.

to THE BEEF: yes, clicking both directions and all connections and fuses are nice and clean

Thanks!

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
These are the bolts I'm talking about:

With those off, you should be able to lift the drive off the gear altogether.

landlubberlost

Recruit
Oh yea, got it. Shoot, that would have saved a costly tow.

I'm thinking with those off and the drive up and out of the way the gear should turn so I can investigate a possible seizure of the worm gear and clutch.

Thanks that helps a lot.

southkogs

Staff member
Just watch it. Without the gear on that drive'll swing like a battle axe. Make sure you support it well - or remove it - while you're working on stuff. You can slip the gear back in and bolt it back in place with the drive up too. I've done that enough.

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer
you will not be able to turn the gear on the clutch side because its a worm gear. Try tapping on the lift motor while hitting the switch. I would do that with the load off the gear. If it runs its probably the motor. I had one go bad ,found a new one on E bay ,been working now for about 4 years.Prepare to stand on you head or get someone very small to fit down there to pull it. Be careful there is a hammer coupling at the end of the motor ,don't lose it.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
And just an FYI too once you have it fixed .

Dont ever hold the switch down to lower the drive , just tap it down until all the way lowered

The first time I had my boat out I learned this lesson the hard way ..... just held the switch down until the outdrive banged into place and snapped the motor shaft (which could very easily be your problem too )

Last edited:

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer
Ouch ! your right,I ran mine down and got stuck. Jump in the water unbolt the gear got it to work.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
yeah , raising the outdrive goes nice and slow - at least on mine .

however lowering it goes a little faster , so I just bump it down until it ever so gently taps the intermediate .

landlubberlost

Recruit
I'm going to put the motor back in and see if it spins. That will at least tell me if the assembly is froze and maybe the motor just has no more torque. Seems the only thing I can do at this point. Wasn't that hard to get out really.

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer
your lucky you got the space. Do you have the quad gear off, the one on the dive some times called the 1/4 Moon gear.
See if it runs with out a load. Did you find the hammer coupling ? There is a spring in it. This coupling gives the motor a second to move before picking up the drive.
Keeps motor from starting under load. Makes a difference.

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer
Looked at my parts catalog for that part # 98027 coupling & key. Spring part # 309267 . Check the coupling for that key ,if its sheered it just spins on the shaft.
Can you take a pair of needle nose pliers and turn that shaft with out a load on it

landlubberlost

Recruit
Well the boat fairies are smiling on me. I popped the motor back on and unloaded, the assembly (shaft, wormegear and clutch) spun. put the quadrant gear back on the drive and poof! The motor raises and lowers as advertised. Go figure.

One thing I noticed was that on the gear that is on the outside of the clutch housing there is a bolt. It was loose. I tightened it. That couldn't have been it.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions and help

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer
I'll bet you ran it down to hard and got it stuck, I did the same thing with the same results, Just bump the switch and let it coast down and seat,you'll be fine.