88 omc cobra shift rod wiper install, anyone done it?

bikepainter

Cadet
I am resealing my 1988 omc cobra lower and cannot figure out how to install the shift rod wiper. The factory manual says nothing about wiper installation. I have attached photos of the part. The wiper to be installed is shown just to the right of the hole in which it goes. the wiper itself is larger than the opening in the top part of the cover, under the cover the hole is larger and correct diameter. i thought possibly, the inner part was preesed in and had to be pressed out to install wiper then repressed in, but it does not seem to press out and doesnt appear to be a separate pressable piece. I am hoping someone has installed one of these wipers before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

IMG_2139_zps4npy4ti5.jpg

IMG_2140_zpso08jmf3b.jpg

IMG_2141_zpspoeupzhu.jpg

MRS

Commander
When I changed mine wiper went in no troubles maybe not the right one? But the o-ring is a real pain could not get it to seat right kept popping back out just have to work it till it stays in. The factory book (cobra omc) does have instructions for the wiper and o-ring install. I did use a socket to lightly tap wiper in make sure it goes in even when starting.

Last edited: