88 bayliner capri 2.3 omc knowledge needed

Skribble

Cadet
Hi everyone, I recently got this bayliner and although I'm knowledgeable when it comes to engines and that ones modified for boats are not common to me. After fighting with this for a few days I finally got it running after realizing the safety lanyard was gone so I bypassed the switch for the time being. The boat runs great but suddenly had water pouring out of a metal tube in the exhaust manifold and one in the side of the block. I by chance found two brass wingnuts that resemble a petcock for the most part in the glove box. I checked for the hell of it and they threaded into both tubes from some experience I know that they remove plugs etc.. to winterize most boats (I have had outboards that always spent the winter in a basement corner) it ran fine with these in then suddenly I watched the fuel gauge go from full to empty and it stalled and will crank and not start. It was getting dark so I let it be I'm just hoping someone can tell if I was correct on putting the plugs in these ports or did I just murder my engine in some way? Hoping just was a hiccup with the carb being the boat sat outside the last 2 years.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Skribble.

Got pictures? I think it sounds like you closed up your cooling system ... I can't imagine how those would relate to fuel. But I don't know your engine well enough to say for sure.

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
Pictures are always helpful. Those wing nuts are for draining water out ya block and manifold pre winter. Has nothing to do with ya stalling. You need to check ya basics. "Suck, squeeze,bang,blow".
Additionally if your Gage's dropped off might want to check the big harness plug on the port side of the motor. But again. Check your basics and report back. If your not sure what those are then we can walk you thru them

Last edited:

Skribble

Cadet
It' won't let me upload a picture... I opened them earlier and it started and ran fine aside from the water coming out of them but once closed it stalls and wont run. The gauge issue and stalling wound up being a blown fuse. to me it almost looks like there should be a line connecting them but again not sure i may have to wait for the service manual to come seeing as no matter what i try the picture wont upload. I do appreciate the help alot though

Skribble

Cadet
That makes sense actually prevents trolling etc... I tried a bit after this and I get invalid file data ill see if I can sort that out most likely mess up on my end bad luck with tech lately

Last edited:

Skribble

Cadet
I want to say thanks a lot though for the help and patience. It is greatly appreciated

southkogs

Staff member
Blown fuse was all! Cool.

Those are definitely your drains.

To link images over so they view in your post, just copy the image tag to the right of the photo (or when you click the little "chain" icon). Then it should look like this:

100_0470_zpsbybnhhje.jpg

Skribble

Cadet
Sweet thanks! she is going now not perfect spent to much time messing with fuel injected engines I forgot my roots and never checked the fuel filter in the carb. It was plugged and the inlet was epoxied in so going to rebuild the carb seeing its seen better days and locate my box of carb parts for a self threading inlet from my old car. Thanks again!!!