Throttle/Shift Assembly Installation

Can someone help me re-install my throttle/shift assembly? I have no clue what I am doing. See pictures, the part number is Marmac M-1093-D2 for reference. I need to know what the degree markings are on the outside disc behind the lever (the plate with the three screws.) Also, when removing, I took the bolt out that you see is missing in the pictures so I do not know what is the right position now. Can someone explain the mechanism of the lever (like all the positions) including what the center button does. I feel like if I understand the mechanics of what it is supposed to do, I can fix it.

How I have it installed right now, it looks like full forward is moving the throttle to full on, but when I go to reverse, its not moving much (maybe thats right?)

Thanks everyone! Will post more pictures later today, and maybe a video is in order because this is such a complicated issue!

Attachments

• photo248938.jpg
    photo248938.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo248939.jpg
    photo248939.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
I don't know your shift mechanism well enough to help ... kinda' not even sure what I'm looking at in your photos. This is from your '77, right? Hydro-Mechanical shift?

Yea, from the 1977 formula f20cl... the pictures are from behind the lever assembly.

Can you at least tell me the positions of the lever and what is happening in general and with the electric shift signals so I can troubleshoot. Also, is there anything that I need to make sure that I do not do that would break the Drive Unit. When I start the engine it revs up fairly High and when I push the lever forward it increases so that's good, but when I pull it all the way back the direction does not change on the propeller, and the throttle seems to not change it all.

Any info will help thank you so much.

southkogs

Staff member
You're hydro-mechanical shift right? I'd have to do some reading on that system. I only ever had the electric shift.

Do you have a manual?

You're hydro-mechanical shift right? I'd have to do some reading on that system. I only ever had the electric shift.

Do you have a manual?

I have a seloc manual, it doesn't have my lever assembly in it anywhere. And it is an electric shift. Thanks!

southkogs

Staff member
On an electric shift, the lever you're looking at is strictly the throttle cable. I'm not sure what the degree marks are as my remote didn't have any. I'll try to look at a manual later today for the side mount remote.

Regardless ... straight up and down is neutral/idle. The minute you push the throttle forward, the lever should activate a switch in the remote that charges 12v to the forward coil in the lower unit. It'll stay engaged until you come back into neutral/idle. Now, the more throttle you push ... the more RPMs you get and off to the races.

Reverse works just like that, but by pulling backward on the remote.

There is typically no way to push/hold "something" and keep the boat in neutral while you rev the engine. Generally there is a separate lever for a "high idle."

So, what you're seeing there is just a throttle cable. The shift switch is somewhere else in that unit ... two wires running off of it.

On an electric shift, the lever you're looking at is strictly the throttle cable. I'm not sure what the degree marks are as my remote didn't have any. I'll try to look at a manual later today for the side mount remote.

Regardless ... straight up and down is neutral/idle. The minute you push the throttle forward, the lever should activate a switch in the remote that charges 12v to the forward coil in the lower unit. It'll stay engaged until you come back into neutral/idle. Now, the more throttle you push ... the more RPMs you get and off to the races.

Reverse works just like that, but by pulling backward on the remote.

There is typically no way to push/hold "something" and keep the boat in neutral while you rev the engine. Generally there is a separate lever for a "high idle."

So, what you're seeing there is just a throttle cable. The shift switch is somewhere else in that unit ... two wires running off of it.

Ok, took it out on the water, seems like everything is actually fine, except for the angle of the unit/lever, so ill just change the lever angle with the set screw. I think I'll be fine. Thanks for the help!