Introduction, 1987 Capri bayliner size, ford 2.3L with ??'s

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Depends on what you are going to have him do. If it was my boat, I would definitely change the points and plugs and possibly cap, rotor and plug wires.

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class
thats a good idea, i guess its better to just start fresh with everything.

it was a fresh rebuild last year that they put into the boat after a cracked block from improper winterizing. Im not sure what they did or didnt do on it unfortunately.

steve

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does Iboats have everything for it in a one stop shop sort of deal? other than being a 2.3L ford im not sure what year it actually is or anything.

you wouldnt happen to know the exact name of this engine do you?

2.3L OMC cobra engine seems to find the best results for parts so far...

thanks again,
steve

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class
beautiful! thanks a bunch, i was actually on the same page when i got the email that you replied.

So after i confirm that i have a mallory distributor, i can get the #18-5283 and have everything i need for points and such? then i just need plugs and wires and i can get to tuning it up.

Thanks again! this site is great!
steve

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Cool, thanks bruce, i really appreciate it!

time to dig into the ford a bit LOL im a chevy guy at heart though.

steve

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got the alternator off so I can have it tested tomorrow. At least I'll know it's toast then, or possibly something else. Haha

Took a plug out, it looks like the original from 1987 haha, gonna get 4 of them tomorrow along with plug wires and start there. I have to order the tune up kit so I'll put that in after it comes.

It has a Mallory distributor in it as well, so that helps with the OEM parts aspect of tuning it.

It will take some time but I'm heading in the right direction at least.

Thanks again for all of your help guys,
Steve

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Alright, got everything ordered today. Plugs are in, have my wires and new belt as well. Waiting onthe distributor and alternator from Iboats. They should be here by Friday.

In the meantime, I don't have a manual yet as I didn't find the right one on ebay yet, only what looked like the stern drive book.

Any tips on doing the distributor? I should probably have a dwell meter and timing light, which I don't have. Can I unscrew or unbolt the distributor and match what's there to see if everything I replaced helped it run better? There's what looks like a threaded pipe coupling into the block, does the distributor go through that inside? I've been trying to learn about it but finally had to give in.

1234 front to back is firing order as well? I will take off and replace one at a time but want to have the info just in case.

Thanks,
Steve

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Time to go on youtube and learn how to set dwell and timing.

Firing order is 1-3-4-2

I am going to PM you a link to an OEM manual. Its a 1990 manual but very similar to what you have.

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the info.

Man, the info you can find that's just wrong amazes me... I even found a picture showing what I thought was the correct timing sequence.

I'll check my pm's in a sec, thanks!

Steve

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class
One more for you guys- got my alternator, cap and associated parts, and stuff on Thursday.

Got the alternator hooked up today and want to run it tomorrow before going any further.

Have the positive post hooked up, the S post and exc post per the manual for colors (purple to exc and orange/our to s), p has the purp/white. I believe it all to be hooked up right. Nothing in L2 since I don't have anything.

Anyway onto my question- the Mando has an external ground. Should I hook it up? Wire it to the bracket for the ground? Wasn't planning to but now that it's 1:30 am, it sounds like a good idea to it.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class
S to purple and exc to orange/purple per manual. It won't let me edit the above post again... Although the photo I saw for the alternator hookup was what I have in post #34. I had it hooked up like that the first time then changed it to match the manual instead.

Maybe this isn't correct...
Steve

Steve

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Likely doesn't matter since they both get connected together in the wiring harness anyway. Newer engines just have one wire to excite and a jumper to the S terminal. I would run a ground wire if it is there. It should pick up its ground through all the bracketing though.

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the info, I hooked it up just in case.

I'm actually sitting in my boat right now, it runs much better with just the plugs in it. I can't wait to grt it all tuned up. The alternator is charging and everything too- 14 volts :)

Thanks again,
Steve

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well the good news is, it's running good still except the choke not working at all so starting it up after a week of sitting is tough. I'm still waiting on part of my tune-up kit I guess... It must be the points as I didn't get them in my kit. I have to make some wires too still.

The bad news- I piled it into some rocks today and took a blade off the prop and a little off the skag when the blade broke. So now im in the market for a new one. I'm hoping to find something with a little more towing power than my current 13.75 x 15. I don't think I bent anything internally at least after running it with another, albeit bent still, prop. The spare was already missing parts of blades and was slightly bent from before by other people.

Should I stay with the 13.75 and go to a 13 pitch? Can I go to a 13 x 13? I think that should help me out a bit. I'm looking to keep it on plane at about 18-20 mph for wakeboard towing in the future. It's tough now under 22-24ish. I need to get w new one so I can make sure i don't ruin bearings and seals from running the slightly bent prop. Also want to check the drive line for vibration and such just in case.

Any insight?
Thanks guys!
Steve

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class
also, can you replace just the electric choke on the carb? i havent found too much on just the parts. i still have to dig into it a bit more but after trying to activate it from power to the terminal on the choke, it didnt activate so i think its probably toast.

finally got my manual yesterday, ill be flipping through that a bit as well tonight after i get done with my other projects that are planned for the evening.

prop should be here friday after iboats cancelled my first order on a 13.75 x 13 prop. they had some in stock so i ordered again, not sure what the case was for cancelling it. hopefully that works out well, we will see how it is this weekend as i plan to tow some tubes and such while i have family in town.

i will also monitor the large amount of water that was in it when i took it out. we had a bunch of rain last week so it could have got some water in some holes in the tarp and wasnt tilted a bunch in my driveway. im not sure if the plug wasnt tight enough or what, but it had at least a few gallons of water in it (we had 2.5" of rain last week). i guess that doesnt seem like that much, except that it was completely covered with only a

steve

honda400ex2003

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well I got the 13.75 od x 13 pitch on last night and got the boat in the water today. I'm happy with the results, it should pull me nicely while wakeboarding now and maintain 20-22 very well to make a nice wake. I don't think the hull is going to accommodate running any slower than that, but that's ok.

No shaking or anything either so that was a sigh of relief today.

Now I'm going to be in the market for a nice cruising prop. Debating on what to get this time. 15, 17, 19, or 21?? Definitely more than a 15, not sure what a 19 or 21 would result in. I'd like to run nice low cruising rpms and still maintain 25-30 without power fading off from low rpms. Would a 21 be too much for 120 HP? Think it would keep the nose high for quite a while when planing?

My 15 was a great all around prop, I'd venture say. I lost 4-5mph going down to a 13. Ran 36-37 before with the 15. It seems like this engine has plenty of torque to pull a decent holeshot, even with a big pitch prop but don't want to go overboard. To just cruise the lake, the holeshot isn't critical to me anyway.

I think 17 is out... 19 or 21, seems like it would get me into the 40s if there's enough power to pull it up top. But, would a 21 be too much prop for it?? Id love to try one but hundreds don't grow on my dead pine tree in my yard :(

Thoughts?
Steve