2 barrel Holley floods

Fortino76

Cadet
Hello and thanks in advance. I have a 1990 four winns freedom 190 with an Omc 4.3. It is equipped with a 2 barrel Holley carb. This boat sat for 5 years in a heated garage in winterized status when I bought it. I syphoned the gas out replaced water separator and it ran great for a few days, then it stalled and I found that the carb continued to allow fuel in even when the throttle and engine were off. I did a rebuild on it and added a prescreen filter to fuel line thinking it got something stuck that I hadn't been able to remove from old gas in tank. I ran it for a couple of hours and it started to do it again. The symptom is this. It will run great at start up to throttle and on plane. Once you let off throttle it will bog and die, due to flooding. If I throttle back up the spark ignition will catch back up. I looked in carb and fuel was still dumping in.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Winterization is not 5 years of storage. You drained the fuel, wise thing to do. Is the fuel dripping from the venture nozzles? If so the float is either stuck, set too high, or has lost buoyancy. Are the fuel lines from the separator steel, or hose? If hose replace with a USCG approved material. The old hose may have deteriorated and pieces are clogging up the inlet valve of the carb.

Fortino76

Cadet
The fuel line is stainless. I should also add, that I did the power valve test of turning mixture screws in to see if the engine would die and it did. How would I test the float buoyancy or would I just replace the float?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The Holley 2300 uses a brass float. Shake it, if you hear anything, it has fuel in it and needs replacing. Make sure to set the float level

A bit of gum varnish may have been stuck to the inner fuel line, got loose and kept the inlet from closing

Last edited:

Fortino76

Cadet
I would need less fuel in the bowl, correct? All of these adjustments need to be made with the bowl off, I'm guessing. Since there is no sight screw or external adjustments.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Yes

Drain fuel from carburetor and remove fuel bowl. Remove float baffle. With bowl inverted, carefully bend curved float arm that contacts inlet needle to set float level (parallel to fuel bowl).

Last edited:

Fortino76

Cadet
Finally had time to adjust the arm. Will be testing it over the weekend. Thanks for the advice. I also read that it may be an issue with the power valve. The one on the boat is from a Napa rebuild kit for this motor. Is there a better selection to use?

Fortino76

Cadet
Well crap. It is still not working properly. It had a replacement in it when I bought it. Adjusting the float yielded the same results. I think I may have to take it in.

Fortino76

Cadet
After all of that, a little piece of debris was stuck in the needle valve. Hopefully for it all or I will be removing tank and doing a full full system rebuild. I'm beginning to understand the 2 best days in a boat owners life, the day he buys it and the day he sells it.