omc cobra 5.0

southkogs

Staff member
When did they add the safety "clip" up at the throttle? I've only had one a little while and don't even know the proper term for it ... red switch, usually attached to a lanyard in case the skipper goes overboard? Any chance that switch is in the "off" position?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
When did they add the safety "clip" up at the throttle? I've only had one a little while and don't even know the proper term for it ... red switch, usually attached to a lanyard in case the skipper goes overboard? Any chance that switch is in the "off" position?
If the plugs are "sparking", I would think the switch is closed.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I am thinking there might be something else going on if it won't run at all now that (or IF) the sparkplugs are sparking. Maybe the dist is loose and was "moved" (a LOT)?

Although it should pop or cough if that's the case...........

jmorgan7988

Cadet
Yes all plugs have spark does anyone know if there would be any limit switch etc that could be causing this issue?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Yes all plugs have spark does anyone know if there would be any limit switch etc that could be causing this issue?
If there's compression, (timed) spark, and fuel, it will run.

If it doesn't run with compression and fuel, there is no spark. (or the spark is happening at the wrong time)

If the battery connections or other connections (IGN, Grounds etc) are poor(corroded/loose etc) , you may be losing spark when you load the electrical system by activating the starter, you may not have enough power to operate the ignition system.

Cranking the engine with the plugs removed places a FAR lighter load on the starter and draws less total load on the electrical system.

Put a volt meter on the "PLUS" side of the coil and another volt meter on the battery when cranking and see it it matches battery voltage. (measured at the battery terminal NOT the cable end on those terminals)

If you have a HUGE difference, you have 1 or more poor connections, either at the battery, NEG cable, block, cable-end, etc)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
thanks I will try to get voltage reading while starting and check my ignition connections

AND yes, there is an ignition interrupt in the shifter It's a neutral safety switch to prevent you from starting it if NOT in neutral .......And there may be some sort of ignition shift interrupt depending on model..........There are some differences, so it may help to know your model number.

There's a BUNCH of different 93/94 models that could be yours.

502ACPMDA 1994
502AGPMDA 1994
50FACPMDA 1994
50FACPMDM 1994
50FAGPMDA 1994
50FAGPMDM 1994

502APLJVB 1993
502APRJVB 1993
502BPRJVB 1993
50FAPLJVB 1993
50FAPLJVN 1993
50FAPRJVB 1993