74 omc 225 electric shift testing?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That's what they are supposed to be. Like I said in post #2, 6 ohms or so to ground.

VE8EV

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You should not get any resistance BETWEEN the two wires, there should only be resistance from each wire to ground. If there is anything from one wire to the other then there is still a problem there.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
He definitely should measure resistance between the two wires. Each coil attaches to ground so it will be the sum of what he measures between each individual coil and ground.

VE8EV

Petty Officer 2nd Class
He definitely should measure resistance between the two wires. Each coil attaches to ground so it will be the sum of what he measures between each individual coil and ground.

You're absolutely right! My bad. (I'm actually a certified electrician but probably shouldn't answer questions before 7am...)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You're absolutely right! My bad. (I'm actually a certified electrician but probably shouldn't answer questions before 7am...)
I am an EE and have the same problems early in the morning.

kwk203

Cadet
Ok I replaced the shift wire down to the coils, and all the seals and gaskets and put it back together. I now have power on one wire at a time.

They ohm out at 5.2 ohms. Took it to the ramp because I am unsure how to run it with water in the driveway and it will still only shift into reverse. It does nothing when I shift into forward.

It has power at the connection just before it goes through the transom. I did put type C oil in it.

I believe the coil test ok, I read on here about a spring that can break and cause it not to work. Any ideas???

Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yep..there is a spring that can break. Usually happens when you shift from reverse to forward or vice versa without letting enough time for the prop to spin down. Also, shifting at too high an RPM can break them.

kwk203

Cadet
I finally got the parts and time to put it back together. It now goes forward and backwards.

Thanks for all the help.

kwk203

Cadet
The front coil spring was broken. I don't know if the wiring issue caused it or the previous owner did it.

Now the motor that raises the outdrive quit. its always something.

Thanks again for the help.

kwk203

Cadet
Gave it the best I could in the space I have and nothing. Pulled it out and it was bad looking inside. The armature (?) that the brushes run on was black with a grease like stuff.

I took it to shop to see if they could revive it with no luck. Installed a new one and cleaned the gear part out and am back in business.