OMC 3.0 runs great until shut off, then won't start until the next day.

Mikey56

Cadet
I have a four winns 160 freedom 3.0 OMC 1988 model. It runs fine, stays cool, will run all day if I don't shut it off. But when I do, it won't start again for hours. It seems like maybe something is draining the battery when running. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
Does it crank over slowly when warmed up?
Check the carb after shutting down to see if carb is leaking fuel.
Have you checked the plugs, and if so what do they look like?

Mikey56

Cadet
Yes , it does crank slow when warm. Only showing 9 volts when cranking when warm, and it won'the start then. Has a new coil, and points, etc. It runs great until I try to restart when warm.

alldodge

Staff member
Only showing 9 volts when cranking when warm

Sounds to me like you have a starter breaking down, and also maybe a bad/weak battery.

Take the battery and load test it, then pull the starter and have it tested. If you starter is not turning the motor over fast enough the plugs will not fire

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Sounds to me like you have a starter breaking down, and also maybe a bad/weak battery.
OR, you have bad connection in the starter circuit or a bad ground. Also, if you have a riser gasket leak, it will allow a small amount of water into an open exhaust valve once the engine stops turning. The engine will crank slowly or not at all until that little bit of water leaks past the rings. When it happened to me, I had to wait about 45min to 1 hr for it to crank easily again!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
First thought is riser or manifold leak