Replacing lower unit on OMC

Boathead004

Cadet
Hello I am looking to replace my whole lower unit on my 1980 OMC V8 200HP. Having troubles finding whole assembly for right price and also not exactly sure if my unit is a 400 or a 800 series. Model # is 982141. Can someone help me identifying what exact model I have and best place to pick up a lower unit for my boat. Oh ya, I am also from Canada, ha

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the stringer 400 only came behind 4 cylinders. you have an 800. being 1980, should be hydro-mechanical shift, which narrows you down to 1978-1980 (white in color). 1981-1985 is mechanical shift, and 1977 and prior is electric shift.

what is wrong with your existing lower unit? what do you consider the right price?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if your still on the same issue you started in this thread http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...drives/10205519-boat-will-not-shift-into-gear

it is most likely not your lower unit. southkogs indicated you most likely have bad vertical drive shafts (bad design from OMC, they all fail) you could replace your lower a bunch of times if this is the problem. or you could diagnose the problem and fix it correctly for a reasonable amount of money.

Boathead004

Cadet
Hey thanks appreciate the help

My Lower unit will intermittently go in and out of gear, so i took off the lower unit and was able to take out reverse gear. On the reverse gear, the notches where clutch engages on are worn down to about half the size. Also seals are worn as I get water in lower unit quite frequently. And last, as I read my seloc manual to remove prop shaft and servo hydraulic shifter to get at my clutch and forward gear, it tells me to lift up on servo shifter and my prop shaft should just slide right out and if it doesn't then i have bigger issues in my lower unit and that I should use a slide hammer on prop and hammer out prop shaft to get at my clutch and forward gear. Ultimately bending my shifter in taking out the prop. So with all these problems in my lower unit I was thinking of just getting a whole new lower unit. A good idea? Also would i replace servo hydraulic shifter with electric, cause the servo hydraulic shifter is obsolete?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
OMC is Obsolete Marine Corp. However your best bet is to find either an identical lower or a complete drive in good condition. However you are dealing with 35 year old parts from a company that went out of business more than 20 years ago

southkogs

Staff member
... patience will be your best friend, but yes you should be able to track one down.