ESC module on an OMC

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer
So since iboats is censoring links I can't see what people are talking about when they say they replaced their ESC modules?

I just spent months replacing the lower half of my drive ( blown clutch dog) and got it back on the water today... shifts perfectly into gear... is a bear to get out... figured out that if I very quickly turn ignition to off and on while pulling to go into N it does it perfectly..

While in N tied to a dock I went down and pushed on the W shaped item to see if it made the engine stumble... it did not, pushed it in both directions and it didn't do anything.

It IS tripping the switch when shifted from the helm, just seems like the switch does nothing.

So what do people do to fix that? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
What ignition system do you have on your engine? Still points?

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Jeff,
Please don't hijack topics asking about your motor and it's problems. The topic you posted to has been inactive for nearly 4yrs, please don't post in inactive topics.

I didn't see any mention of ESC modules or any censored links in the topic you posted this too.

Moved to a topic of your own.

What topics had the censorship you're referring to?

Last edited:

Thajeffski

can't really find it, I bumped it because the OP and others specifically talked about ESC not working after they replaced their shift cable, just like I did... seemed prudent to keep all the discussion in the same thread vs starting a new one on the same topic..

1987 OMC 5.7 with a cobra outdrive.

Problem is it is tough to shift out of gear in the water. Manually pushed on ESC lever both ways, no difference in RPM's..

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I didnt see ESC or ESA modules mentioned in that topic.

As most of those posters and the OP arent active any more, posting this there wasnt likely to get responses.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I will ask again...what ignition system do you have on your engine?

EDIT: So why did the title of the thread get changed back to ESC?

Last edited:

Thajeffski

No idea man.. :) I'm not in control of the title..

Nothing special on the ignition system, I'm assuming whatever it came with but I'll be down at the boat on saturday and take a few pictures. I've just seen references to the micro switches on the old system going bad and people seem to say there's some other solution, if I could find the thread I would link to it... :)

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Sounds like you need to troubleshoot the shift interrupt system.
Ohm meter to test the switches.
Volt meter to check power and ground to the ESA
Everything tests good --- replace the ESA. Or (not recommended) wire it like a MerCruiser.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
No idea man.. :) I'm not in control of the title..

Nothing special on the ignition system, I'm assuming whatever it came with but I'll be down at the boat on saturday and take a few pictures. I've just seen references to the micro switches on the old system going bad and people seem to say there's some other solution, if I could find the thread I would link to it... :)
If it has a Pertronix added to it, it won't work with the ESA unless you do some modifications.

The Mods changed it to ESA and then changed it back to ESC. :noidea:

Open up the cap and see if it still has points.

What year and model number is this drive?

Last edited: