Engine or Motor?

Rick Rickoff

Cadet
I must say that I'm surprised to see so many forum participants, including seasoned skippers and mechanics, referring to the powerplant utilized in or on a particular boat as an inboard or outboard "motor." If the powerplant you are referring to operates on the principles of internal combustion, it is an engine, not a motor. Here is the difference between an engine and motor, when correctly defined: engine = a device that uses combustion or heat to produce motion (examples: gas, diesel, and steam engines)
motor = a device that converts electric energy into motion (electric motor)

Thus, unless your boat's motive power source (if other than wind) is an electric motor, you have an engine and should refer to it as such. That's not to say that electric inboard and outboard motors don't exist, as they certainly do. Popular makes include Minn Kota, Torqeedo, Ray, Aquawatt, and Elco, among others.

Most boats nowadays do utilize one or more motors,such as a starter motor, power trim and tilt pump motor, bilge pump motor, or a blower motor, and these are all correctly defined as "motors" because they operate by converting electric energy into motion, whereas an "engine" does not.

The terms "motor boat," or "motor car" aren't considered to be inappropriate labels, as the word "motor" when used in these descriptions is an adjective with a meaning that relates to movement, just as the "motor skills" of humans relates to body movements. In other words, when used in this sense it indicates that the boat, or car, includes a built in or attached motive power source that allows self-propelled movement, and this could include either an electric motor, an internal combustion engine, a steam engine, or other motive power source.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I like it. Makes me think about thermodynamics too. I often have to resign myself though to regional, local, common terms that helps communication between people - which is what words are for.

Her'e's another one, off the top of head - fender or bumper?

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I must say that I am surprised that anyone on here was annoyed by that!?! :rolleyes:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I like it. Makes me think about thermodynamics too. I often have to resign myself though to regional, local, common terms that helps communication between people - which is what words are for.

Her'e's another one, off the top of head - fender or bumper?

Fender is a brand of Guitars, Bumper can be a Rocket, or a piece of a car

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I've been crucifyin' the english language for 'bout 6 decades,....

I doubt I'll stop anytime soon,....

The Downeast Maine, aka: Maineiac lingo is tough to loose, even after 40 years of bein' away,....

If ya don't want me callin' yer powerplant, yer motor,....
Don't ask me how to fix it, I guess,.....

Btw,.... I ain't a fan of political correctness either,......
If everybody in the world grew a pair, We'd be alot better off,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
And we should correct foot-pound and pound-feet..... While at it, Klenix is a brand name, and facial tissue is what you blow your schnoz into.

Motor vs Engine... Yes, you are technically correct. Then again who really cares.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't mater, and in trying to correct people, you just come across like a schmuck

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
In the grand scheme of things it doesn't mater, and in trying to correct people, you just come across like a schmuck

Scott...I wonder why he didn't correct you on your response to him here on his other thread!!!
All 3.0 liter motors are made in Mexico. for the most part, they are all the same when it comes to the long block. there are 1990 and older 3.0 motors and there are 1991 and newer 3.0 motors.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Definition of motor

1. a machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I took a quick look and found these definitions

Full Definition of motor
: one that imparts motion; specifically : prime mover
: any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as
a : a small compact engine
b : internal combustion engine; especially : a gasoline engine
c : a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy
: motor vehicle; especially : automobile

mo?tor (mō′tər)
n.
1. Something, such as a machine or an engine, that produces or imparts motion.
2. A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy, especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of coils and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical power.
3. A motor vehicle, especially an automobile: "It was a night of lovers. All along the highway ... motors were parked and dim figures were clasped in revery" (Sinclair Lewis).
adj.
1. Causing or producing motion: motor power.
2. Driven by or having a motor.
3. Of or for motors or motor vehicles: motor oil.
4. Of, relating to, or designating nerves that carry impulses from the nerve centers to the muscles.
5. Involving or relating to movements of the muscles: motor coordination; a motor reflex.
v. mo?tored, mo?tor?ing, mo?tors
v.intr.
To drive or travel in a motor vehicle.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Scott...I wonder why he didn't correct you on your response to him here on his other thread!!!

Bruce, the post reminds me of a joke a friend of mine once told me a long time ago.

what do engineers use as birth control? - their personality

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
We also call an electrical ground "ground" while it is "earth" elsewhere in the world. The world still spins regardless how screwed up we are. We still can't seem to get the general public head wrapped around the metric system either.

bobkat1864

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I remember when the U.S. Government told its citizens..."we are switching to the metric system!" So now, we use both and just need twice as many wrenches in our tool boxes. Probably just a ploy to get us to all buy more tools...oh, and by the way...Happy Independence Day, and I ain't seen a motor yet that could burn fuel. Lol. (Well I guess if you spilled some fuel on a hot running motor, it might burn it...)

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Why is a lower unit called a "foot" by some? It has no toes, heel or instep.

As far as motor vs engine, let's start changing history.

These need relabled;
motoil.PNG

ESSO was wrong;
ehm.PNG

Poor Steppenwolf - So confused!

Get your engine running, engine down the highway sounds so much better. Words from Easy Rider, an enginecycle movie. :doh:

But don't forget language is ever evolving and new words and definitions change constantly.
  • Do birds still tweet?
  • Is a widget a thing or an app?
  • Is a brick building material or a dead electronic device?
  • Is catfish a marine animal or a fake?
  • Is an earworm a corn pest or a song we can't stop playing in our head?

Meh, who cares? :lol:

Attachments

• ehm.PNG
    ehm.PNG
    348.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
General Motors, Ford Motor Company and Harley Davidson Motor Company should probably change their names.

Apparently, Mercury is also wrong when they refer to their outboard motors!

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Now I know why AMC sold out to Chysler. They were in a tizzy!