OMC Exhaust Flapper/Seal Question

lakenormangal

Seaman
I need to order two new flappers. I have been looking around and are there different sized flappers for the 4.3 HO? Or are they the same size as the regular 4.3?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I donno, but imagine the difference 'tween the 4.3l, 'n 4.3l HO is the size of the carb,.....

lakenormangal

Seaman
I did find a photo of an OMC exhaust seal/flapper for a 4.3 that showed it next to a ruler and the length was 3", but the one I have is 3.25 long. I'm having a very tough time even trying to find the part number. I looked in the OMC manual and maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but i can;t find the part number here either.

You might consider leaving them out altogether as many of us have. They can dislodge, get stuck somewhere and cause trouble. They can be hard to retrieve.

lakenormangal

Seaman
You might consider leaving them out altogether as many of us have. They can dislodge, get stuck somewhere and cause trouble. They can be hard to retrieve.

What happens when they get left out? I was told they are to prevent water from flushing backwards through the system and that it could damage something, if they were left out.

That was their intended purpose and they probably do work, but I think the consensus is that that kind of back wash is very unlikely.

The tendency for them to melt, break or otherwise fail and fall down into the exhaust pipe seems to have out weighed the benefit. The fact that they're made of plastic or rubber or whatever gives me the creeps.

EL-BATO

Cadet
Doesn't removing the flapper also slightly improve exhaust flow and create a mild 'tuning' effect?

Bondo

Staff member
Doesn't removing the flapper also slightly improve exhaust flow and create a mild 'tuning' effect?

Nope, not in the least,.....

They probably do their job most often when launchin', 'n retrievin' on, 'n off the wagon,....

The stern usually is at it's lowest at that point,....