1993 Four Winns 190 Candia Leaks, And sending unit issues

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good evening all of you,
I have been a member of this forum for a while, I read a lot on here but haven posted much since last year when I screwed up this boat I bought.
I have a 1993 190 Candia with an OMC cobra outdrive and 302 I/O motor. I had to completely rebuild the motor this year due to ignorance and laziness. I will post pics of all of that for others to learn from and see. For now I need a little help. I took the boat out to the lake this weekend to test out. A few issue stuck out. One is the Temp gauge reads 240 or pegged out. I took the wire off the sender and grounded it. It pegs out. My oil pressure started at 45psi at the docks. I rode about 2 miles and pressure dropped steadily from 45 to 0 psi. No knocking. Oil on dipstick was clean and looked to be in the good range. No oil in the bilge or all over the motor. I took wire off of sender and grounded it as well. Oil gauge pegged out when grounded. I am assuming these just need to be replaced. I rode back 2 miles with zero oil pressure and didnt have a knock and didnt seize up.

On to the really scary part. I noticed the Automatic bilge kick on and stay on for a while. Then again it comes on and stays on for a while. I look in the bilge and can hear water coming in. I pull to shore and back boat in facing into waves and anchor close to shore so I can get out. I trim up all the way and look into the bilge. Nothing is leaking, but there is a lot of water in the bilge. I pump out nd use my phone camera to take a couple pics. I asked my son to drop the out drive into the water and it was like a waterfall of water cam rushing in. I have attached a link to a youtube to watch. I am think bellows, but its to dark right not to see. I just wanted to know some opinions on the matter. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/G5xdizgrhRc

southkogs

Staff member
Bellows is my first thought, but I don't know the Cobras that well.

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks SouthKogs. Any and all opinions, expert opinions, guessing or anything else is welcome. I am going to pull the outdrive tonight. You would be surprised at the almost non existent pics of this issue on the internet. I will post lots of pics and videos for the next person looking for help.

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I stopped by local boat graveyard today and found a boat that had the same engine and outdrive that I have except the engine was out. I climbed up into the boat and put my hand right on the part that the water is coming out of which turns out to be the Bearing Plate. I did notice on my particular situation that the nut on the left side is almost completely loosened off the stud. I have read a lot of threads from many different sites and what I have decided is to jack up boat Bow High and put 5 gallons of water into the bilge. Then I should be able to see water coming out where its going in. I felt the transom with a hammer and I dont feel any rot I dont have any clue what could have caused the nut to loosen especially since it is a lock nut. There have been some fixes I found on this site that required loosening the other side and using an epoxy. Here are the two best threads I could find. I will keep posted
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...es/416268-leaking-transom-bearing-plate/page2
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...lvo-sx-bottom-of-inner-transom-plate?t=287018

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok guys here is another video. This is of the boat out of water on muffs. There isnt any water coming in at all with muffs on. I also raised and lowered the motor to simulate the issue . Not a drop. However when I raised the boat up bow high and filled the bilge with water there was a drip or two that came out of the lower gimbel housing where it attaches to the transom. There is what appears to be a bead of caulk around the entire housing. Not sure if that is factory. One thing that was totally surprising was that the bearing plate was totally loose. I mean I could jiggle that thing all over. Totally an issue. I checked transom for rot and I cant feel anything. I tapped with a hammer and there isnt a sound difference or soft area. I am sure that is the issue.
https://youtu.be/H00uMqt6wTk

Bondo

Staff member
Totally an issue. I checked transom for rot and I cant feel anything.

Ayuh,.... From yer description in this thread, I believe after ya pull the drive, motor, 'n transom assembly, yer gonna find Plenty of rotten wood,.....

It'll be the critical 3" or 4" band around the keyhole, that's sandwiched 'tween the inner, 'n outer pieces of the transom assembly,......

I wish I had better news, but that's what I see,.....

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I really hope your wrong on this one. I am going to pick up some angle wrenches tomorrow and attempt to tighten. If it is as rotten as you think I should be able to hear cracking and crunching as I tighten. Thanks for the advice. I'll post pics tomorrow

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I really hope your wrong on this one. I am going to pick up some angle wrenches tomorrow and attempt to tighten. If it is as rotten as you think I should be able to hear cracking and crunching as I tighten. Thanks for the advice. I'll post pics tomorrow

You were not wrong.... I was able to contort my body in and tighten up the nuts. Here are the issues I have. These are lock nuts with the teflon in the nut. No way they backed themselves out. I stuck a screw driver in the fiberglass right where the plate mounts and was able to push the tip in. I dont mind pulling the motor and fixing the transom but I am wanting to take the boat out for the week of the 4th. What are your thoughts on sealing the outside of the transom to get me through a week? Where is the water coming from anyway? I couldnt get to leak as bad as it did in the water. That was a lot of water in the clip I posted. Surely that not all from just a loose bearing plate.

Bondo

Staff member
I dont mind pulling the motor and fixing the transom but I am wanting to take the boat out for the week of the 4th. What are your thoughts on sealing the outside of the transom to get me through a week? Where is the water coming from anyway?

Ayuh,..... The water comes in around the transom assembly, because the transom is rotten,.....

If ya run it, ya risk alot more broken parts, the alignment is no doubt gone,....
The coupler is the most likely failure, 'n ya probably won't make it a week,....

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just doesn't make sense. Boat hasn't been in the water but maybe twice in 10 years. Garage kept it's whole life. Bottom of transom is solid. How could it be rotten half way up the transom? Just don't make any sense at all. How did the nuts work loose when they are lock nuts, and if the transom were rotten amd the nuts worked loose due to water then the studs would have to be damaged as well. They are not and look like new. Also if the alignment were off then that means the top studs have moved as well. At this point I would notice a seal line on yhe rear outer transom where the mount has been since it was built. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. Ugh

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is a much better video showing the Bearing Plate on the 1993 omc 5.0 . I tightened the lock nuts up and now there is at least 1/2 inch of threads showing. Looking up in the cavity there are two bolts where the ypipe connects. I wonder if that is where the water is coming out. That would make much more sense to me. If I were on muffs then I would be able to see water come out there if indeed that were the origin of the issue right?

https://youtu.be/LvuRYQ-3ZVA