Booty Question

Twainer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No its not what you think guys! :) I was wanting to know if Amor All or something similar is ok to use on the outdrive boot to keep it from cracking? I have heard there are certain grades of rubber that you are not supposed to use protectants on as it can cause premature failure. Just thought when I do the trailer tires I could do the boot & possible get a few more years out of it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Don't use ArmorAll on anything. Store your drive in the down position and change the u-joint bellows every 5 years. Don't spray anything on the bellows.

Fun Times

Staff member
No its not what you think guys! :)
Well i can honestly say the title sure made me pop in for a quick second just to make sure.:lever: Carry on.:thumb:

PS, If at all possible, keeping the boat inside helps out too.:)

Last edited:

VE8EV

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If this is a stringer transom seal we're talking about then I wouldn't try to make it last longer than I thought it was in perfect condition. A brand new one is $100 and that is one piece of rubber you do not want to be thinking about when you're out on the water...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If this is a stringer transom seal we're talking about then I wouldn't try to make it last longer than I thought it was in perfect condition. A brand new one is $100 and that is one piece of rubber you do not want to be thinking about when you're out on the water...

Agreed, You also don't want to spray this on the transom boot if the OP has a stringer.

southkogs

Staff member
Those transom boots had a pretty impressive lifespan as it is. Once they begin to be questionable just replace it. If it's a Stringer, and that boot lets go in the water it'll be a booger to get it back on the trailer fast enough.