Running, but smell gas

Svshaw82

Seaman
Got her running and first trip out was good... only we smell gas!

Gone over all lines, not leaking, but carb and exhaust smell bad of fuel. Any ideas on what I can check?

alldodge

Staff member
Put on some safety glasses and look down the throat of the carb when running. Look for fuel dripping in the carb. If this is the case the carb needs rebuilt/replaced or at the least the float level needs to be adjusted

Svshaw82

Seaman
Put on some safety glasses and look down the throat of the carb when running. Look for fuel dripping in the carb. If this is the case the carb needs rebuilt/replaced or at the least the float level needs to be adjusted

I will do that tomorrow, just got done replacing some fuel lines and vent hoses. All rotted. It's hard to start when cold, and when running idle is kind of high. Linkage seems to stick pretty good, I think it needs a throttle return spring. Seems to stick a little. You might be right about a rebuild, will look into that tomorrow.

Svshaw82

Seaman
A new problem has surfaced, when we had it out today at lake hodges, noticed steering was kinda tough. Also had noisy power steering. I checked the fluid and it was bone dry. Refilled it with lucas, and found it leaking at the steering ram... oh boy!