extended run time stall

Picknasty

Cadet
Happy Memorial Day everyone. The motor in question is a 1996 OMC 7.4GL 454, straight inboard no sterndrive. I have a question which I am sure is a fuel delivery issue but I'm waiting to see what you guys think. I took the boat out yesterday and the motor ran well at first. It stalled out at cruise and I figured I had some trash in my fuel/water separator, I checked and it was full of the milky, suspended water. I drained the bowl and got right back on my way. I checked it a few more times throughout the day but the bowl never gathered much trash again. When I went to go back to the launch it died and wouldn't start back up. I figured it was a fuel starvation issue so I changed the water/fuel separator and the engine mount fuel filter this morning and I am running it off an external tank with non ethanol with seafoam. after I prime the bulb it will start and then idle for a while but then cuts out like it is getting starved for fuel again. The only thing I can think of is maybe my fuel pump is going out? Any thoughts on this? Thank you in advance for the input.

alldodge

Staff member
You change the filters but the carb might still be full of water

Picknasty

Cadet
when the engine starts back up in the yard wouldn't that water work its way out of the carb?

Picknasty

Cadet
Also when I was running a check on the fuel pump I am running, the part number is 861155-4, I see that this is a mercruiser fuel pump and it doesn't look like the one recommended by marineengine as the correct one. This is labeled as a fuel pump for V6 to smaller V8s, 5.7L max. Would it be possible I have the wrong fuel pump? I am not trying to make need for work where there isn't one but I'm really just trying to understand whats going on now.

Here is a picture of what I have

2s8oduq.jpg

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
If the pump could not pump enough volume then it would start backfiring from running lean at WOT. You have other issue currently so I do see the pump as the issue other then it may have been damaged by the water. Only way to know is to put a pressure gauge on it when running. Should be 4-7 psi at all rpms.

Could figure the water would work its way out but may still have effects and more so if it made some crud in the carb

Picknasty

Cadet
I drained the gas out of my two 50 gallon saddle tanks, replaced the water separator filter and engine mount fuel filter. Ran fresh non-ethanol gas and replaced my fuel pump. As soon as I replaced the pump it did great, no stalling or sputtering, sounded like it should. If it is running well now should I be worried about any residual water in the carb bowl? Should I look at removing my carb and cleaning or should I be good to go from here?

alldodge

Staff member
I would run it and leave the carb alone unless other run ability issues show up