Broken starter bolt on 3liter 1988 bayliner Capri

Stelder

Cadet
Was out on river yesterday boat worked great,but the last 3 starts sounded different (whining sound)got back to marina and parked it.
Went back today and took a look I found a bolt 7/16 by about 2" I think,under the motor,I believe it broke off from the starter (right side)
Boat still fires up no problem but sounds a little funny?whats the easiest cheapest way to fix this.?
It's a 1988 bayliner Capri bow rider with a 3 liter gm engine ,I was thinking of trying a little bit longer bolt to see if it grabs any threads, will try this when I have time.
It's not the easiest place to get at.

John Vinzant

Seaman Apprentice
If the bolt is intact, get a small mirror and check the bolt location that is to the outside of the starter, the bolt that's more toward the center of the engine is about 4 inches long with the threads. If the bolt you found is broke off, your going to need to have it removed. Drill and e-z out.
Hopefully you won't have to pull the engine.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You are going to have to at least pull the starter to get access to properly insspect and repair a broken starter bolt. most likely you will need to pull the motor

Stelder

Cadet
I was able to get broken piece of bolt out without too much trouble ,I just loosened the other bolt on starter and pulled shims out,then took a scratchall
(Pointy screwdriver)and kept making counter clockwise circles with pick up against broken bolt and shazam it came out.I put a regular 7/16" bolt back in
Along with shims and tightened it all up,works great.Im going to get proper graded bolt and swap out the regular one I borrowed from work:)
Thanks for everyone's input.
Stay tuned for my next dilemma ,will post another ? On the whining noise when starting grrrrrrrrr.