1988 Bayliner OMC COBRA 5.0 ENGINE PROBLEMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Thank you, I'm going to change both cables, I got it to crank, but now when it cranks, it dies off, it cranks and dies off, I will replace both cables, do you think this will solve my new discovery?
my lawn tractor did the same thing. It would randomly crank and just a click when it didn't crank. At first I thought it was the battery. I jumped out the big terminals on the starter solenoid and it cranked like it was new. Changed the starter solenoid and it's like I got a new tractor!
The internal connections in those things must get burnt up or oxidized to the point where they can't make the connection.
The trim motor in my boat has two of them. One for up and one for down. I had to replace one of those last year.
The good thing is that they very inexpensive. Like $13-$15

Waynem

Cadet
my lawn tractor did the same thing. It would randomly crank and just a click when it didn't crank. At first I thought it was the battery. I jumped out the big terminals on the starter solenoid and it cranked like it was new. Changed the starter solenoid and it's like I got a new tractor!
The internal connections in those things must get burnt up or oxidized to the point where they can't make the connection.
The trim motor in my boat has two of them. One for up and one for down. I had to replace one of those last year.
The good thing is that they very inexpensive. Like $13-$15

Thank you, I'll change that too then.

Waynem

Cadet
I have a 1988 bayliner cuddy capri, with a 5.0 OMC cobra engine in it. The engine block has a crack in it, when I did my first start, water was coming from 2 spots from the sides of the engine. I'm gonna have to replace the engine, what is the cost of replacing the engine, or should i just junked this boat and look for another one.

Bondo

Staff member
when I did my first start, water was coming from 2 spots from the sidesof the engine.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Did ya crawl in there, 'n actually see the cracks,..??

Was it drained for winterization,..?? did ya put the drain plugs back into the block,..??

starbowman

Cadet
I have the same boat. Just got it and the engine is not seized, the battery is holding 12 volts. When cranking - nothing happens. When the second battery is on, the only things that work are the trim and the bilge pump. An idiot mechanic came by and got paid - all he had to say was - it's something electrical! Connections bad - somewhere between the control and the engine....geez, that was specific! But where do I start? Thought I might check in here first, before I start posting elsewhere.

southkogs

Staff member
starbowman - this topic is over a year old. Let's start a new one with details about your boat and let this one continue to collect dust.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.